Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Ejection Port Dust Covers

90lxracer

No. I never closed it. Then it got taken off in an attempt to lighten the rifle and lose non essential parts. Then the whole upper receiver got replaced by one without a port door or forward assist. Haven't missed either of them. 

My 3 gun uppers are all slick side as is one of my PCC uppers.

I got a second PCC upper about two weeks ago that has forward assist and and injection port cover.  After a couple practice sessions i've found that when I try to hit the magazine catch quickly, I'm often pushing on the cover and not the button,  For me, its just in the way.

When I get a little spare time I plan on pulling the handguard and removing the cover.

Bill

For years I shot built guns for 3 gun and always left that stuff off. I quit competing and just recently wanted another rifle and just grabbed one off the shelf and it has all that crap on it . Just useless in the way crap, one of these days I'm going t tear it down and the door and fwd asst are headed for the scrap can.----------Larry

22 hours ago, OPENB said:

I run the Anderson lightweight upper w/o port door or assist. Not needed in 3gun. 

Me too, great upper for pcc and competition guns.  I also like the Aero Precision uppers w/o assist but with the door if you want to install it for whatever reason. 

I am agnostic. The weight is trivial, and a standard GI dust cover is a robust and functionally reliable part. If my upper has one, fine. If not, fine. I am at USPSA Nationals in Las Vegas right now, and the dust here is very fine and prone to being blown around... everything gets covered in a fine layer of dust like talcum powder. If I had a dust cover, I would be closing it, but this particular rifle lacks one so I am just leaving it in the case as long as possible.