Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

carry optics grip work

benchmstr

I am interested in spending some time away from production, and jump into carry optics for a while.

QUESTION!

I have a glock 17 that I had built frame up, that is very easy to label as carry optic spec...except the grip! the rules do not fully stipulate the extent of the allowed grip work enough for me to make a decision.

the grip is full on robar grip reduction(no hump), and an added beavertail(also robar)

yall think this would get me kicked into open division?

the bench

Carry optics has the same rules for the grip as production. I'm not sure what was done to it, but if it isn't production legal it's probably not carry optics legal. 

Just now, Kraj said:

Carry optics has the same rules for the grip as production. I'm not sure what was done to it, but if it isn't production legal it's probably not carry optics legal. 

carry optic now allows undercuts, and finger groove removal the last time I checked though, and that's not allowed in production.

https://uspsa.org/document_library/2017/APPENDIX D7_DNROI_2117.pdf

the bench

4 minutes ago, JupiterAdam said:

Although I am not sure what is involved in a grip reduction, it is very clear in the provisional rules that adding a beaver tail is prohibited - see rules at the following link:

I scanned through it and didn't see anything prohibiting beavertails. not seeing it wasn't there...I just didn't see it.

I don't see how having a beavertail wouldn't work, since all gen 4 glocks come with a beavertail backstrap that can technically be molded to the gun via the allowed stipple and wouldn't be an issue...

the bench

Ok, I emailed USPSA and Troy McManus replied 

"The grip reduction is not prohibited in CO, nor is the beavertail, but the gun will no longer be legal for Production, should you wish to use it for both divisions.

Troy"

so im a go!!

the bench

8 minutes ago, alma said:

No more requirement to keep the factory grip profile. Go crazy as long as you don't flare the magwell. 

yeah, im just shooting these days for the hell of it. not looking to get sponsored anymore...just gonna rock it like I carry it, and have no need for the magwell.

the bench

19 hours ago, benchmstr said:

carry optic now allows undercuts, and finger groove removal the last time I checked though, and that's not allowed in production.

the bench

it wasn't always like that right?

"Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are specifically allowed, without reference to Appendix E4"

"But not limited to" makes me think you can do whatever you want?

And "without reference to E4" would mean you could stipple all over the place? 

1 minute ago, Kraj said:

it wasn't always like that right?

"Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are specifically allowed, without reference to Appendix E4"

"But not limited to" makes me think you can do whatever you want?

And "without reference to E4" would mean you could stipple all over the place? 

that's why I wasn't sure at first.

the bench

On 4/11/2017 at 5:43 PM, Kraj said:

That's not correct as of the first revision of CO provisional rules, when weight changed from 35 to 45 ounces. That first revision also relaxed rules on grip and slide modification ONLY to CO. 

USPSA/NROI should depreciate or otherwise mark the original PDFs as superseeded and link to latest. If you google search (which most folks do), you get the original / incorrect appendix with 35 ounce weight as first hit, as those are still posted. You need to use the USPSA rules page to get to the correct / latest appendix and rules. 

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tdp88 said:

Does the undercut really give much benefit?

To me there is a huge benefit. I own only one polymer frame gun that's not been undercut and that's my 34 I use for production...and that's only because the undercut isn't allowed.

to me, it IS a necessity

the bench  

Just now, benchmstr said:

To me there is a huge benefit. I own only one polymer frame gun that's not been undercut and that's my 34 I use for production...and that's only because the undercut isn't allowed.

to me, it IS a necessity

the bench  

Are a DIY guy or did you send it off?

He sent it off. The gun was done by Robar according to his first post.

But undercutting a polymer frame is easily done at home with patience and a Dremel with a sanding drum, followed by ultra fine grit sandpaper wrapped around a dowel rod.

If a gun were only for defensive carry and/or only for use in carry optics, I'd happily modify a gun someone who asked me to.

It's only a problem for SSP / Production.

Edited by MemphisMechanic