Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

W231 not metering well.

calebj06

My pistol loading is still giving me fits. All my equiptmen is lyman. Tmag press with Lyman digital scale and powder measurer. Cleaned the powder measurer and set it per the instructions using only the top bar for small loads. 

I'm still getting inconsistent throws. It just won't settle down. I'm trying to hit 4.2 gr of w231. It normally throws between 4.1-4.4. Ok, I can live with that. Every now and then I get 4.6 and sometimes 3.9 that after sitting for a minute creaps up to 4.0. Then it will just go crazy and throw 3.4-3.5. I can obviously see the low powder charge and catch it but it's annoying. 

Then it throws 2.8!!! WHAT?? I throw 5 and measure them all and there were all sub 3.0. So I tap on the measurer good and throw 15-20 just to clear it out, and sure enough I'm back to 4.4, 4.1, 4.2. 

So I'm about ready to try a different powder. 

Any suggestions on what to try to fix this issue? 

Any suggestions on a powder that might meter better? 

Loads are for a g19 for competition use using 124gr coated cast bullets. 

Thanks
Caleb

Have you checked the powder hopper and lever to make sure there's no issues?  

Im using a hornady LNL to reload and consisted at 3.2.  I actually reloaded 3 days in a row for the past 3 days and tested the first few throws before reloading and still remained at 3.2 grains

No issues that I can see. 

Its 5 years old so not new. 

Even went over over it with a dryer sheet to kill any static. 

Hadnt thought about speed speed or consistency of throws but I didn't notice me doing anything different 

Powder could be caking in the hopper. Try a fresh container of powder, preferably one that has not been opened. I have found that 231, Bullseye and a couple of others can drag moisture out of the air and develop a caking habit. A couple of taps on the powder hopper followed by a gentle stir of the powder with a wooden dowel can help if you are stuck with a single container of powder.

Ugh. Just ran another 100 or so. Just when I think I figured it out 

So it's being all over the place so I decide to slow down and be very methodical with my throws. I even add in a little tap of the handle on my upstroke to settle any powder. 

BAM. I start getting consistent readings of 4.7. Ok, that's to high so back it down. Got it to 4.4. Ok just a bit more, NOPE 3.8. Ok back up. 4.3. I can live with that. 

Then it settles in decent. I visually check each one and am weighing about every 5th or so or ones that look light. 20-30 rounds later I get a 3.0....hmmmm. Ok another 20 and I get a 3.5. 

Now it all goes silly. Consistent 2.8-3.3. I stop. Drop about 20 loads into my weight pan and hope it will steady back down. 

Sure enough, right back on at 4.3. 

I just don't trust it right now at all. I'm gonna completely take it apart again and clean it all. Gonna call Lyman and get any tips, and also gonna go shopping for some powder.

W231 is easily one of the most consistently dropping powders out there.  I have used it for years in my LNL, and it always drops consistently. Do you have a baffle in your powder hopper?  Maybe it is bridging, but I have never known W231 to bridge. I'm not familar with the Lyman stuff, but something has to be loose or wrong causing the inconsistent throws.  Hopefully Lyman can get it fixed.

I agree with Greg. I use HP38 and it meters very well. I'm currently loading 4.8 grs. in my Dillon 550 and I check the powder after every 100 rounds and it is right on 4.8. I wouldn't blame the powder in this case. 

21 hours ago, TommyK said:

Electronic or balance powder measure?  I recently had a similar experience with Alliant E3. The problem proved to be the scale I was using, not the powder bar.

Digital 

Fire a 24 shot group - if they group well, and run at PF - you don't have a

powder problem -

Might be the scale, or something else, but if the bullets make PF consistently

and are accurate enough, there is NO PROBLEM with the ammo.    :)