Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Air rifles (PCP)

I know that that this isn't an air rifle forum but I am not a member of any of them.  So i figured maybe someone here might know.  Lets say that I have cocked my PCP air rifle but don't cant shoot a pellet through it, should i just dry fire it?  Will it damage it?

One shot without a pellet shouldn't break your gun, but it's a very bad idea to name it a regular practice.  I do pest eradication with air rifles and can't think of a great reason to not just put a pellet in and fire into the ground or whatever is safe if you need to clear the gun.

What kind of PCP are you using?

3 hours ago, Pistolpete9 said:

One shot without a pellet shouldn't break your gun, but it's a very bad idea to name it a regular practice.  I do pest eradication with air rifles and can't think of a great reason to not just put a pellet in and fire into the ground or whatever is safe if you need to clear the gun.

What kind of PCP are you using?

its an Edgun.  You are right about just shooting one into the ground.  I guess the other day, I was showing someone how to cock it in the house and then was thinking, what do I do now.   Im sure the wife won't mind a few holes in the carpet.

Oh, it's an Edgun.  Yeah, you've probably ruined it.  Better send it to me and let me rebuild it.  I'll have it back within 24 months.  Awful nice rifle! What are you using it for?  I actually still use a Benjamin Nitro Piston for the majority of my eradication.  My PCPs can't keep a consistent enough shot string over the course of a lot of shooting and I'm just not willing to invest more yet.  My Nitro Piston probably has somewhere between 400-500 pests to its name at this point.  Very different from "hunting" though.

You should not fire the gun without a pellet in it.  You can damage the piston/seals.  Per my manual, cock the barrel like you normally would (and you should not have any spring pressure) and then while FIRMLY holding the barrel, pull the trigger and then you release the spring pressure when you swing the barrel back out.  It will snap like hell if you do not have a good grasp of the barrel.  Don't ask me how I know this.  If your gun is cocked without a pellet in it, why not just load a pellet and shoot it somewhere safe to unload the spring?

Greg, sounds like you're talking about a springer/gas piston.  His is a PCP rifle which are very different in the way they operate.  They don't have the massive pistons that the break barrels have.  Less likely to beat the hell out of itself, but could damage the regulator or such I guess.  I'm with you though.  Just drop a pellet in and shoot your grass outside.  I've had to do it before.  Of course, I guess there may be some that have a bleed off valve

15 hours ago, Pistolpete9 said:

Oh, it's an Edgun.  Yeah, you've probably ruined it.  Better send it to me and let me rebuild it.  I'll have it back within 24 months.  Awful nice rifle! What are you using it for?  I actually still use a Benjamin Nitro Piston for the majority of my eradication.  My PCPs can't keep a consistent enough shot string over the course of a lot of shooting and I'm just not willing to invest more yet.  My Nitro Piston probably has somewhere between 400-500 pests to its name at this point.  Very different from "hunting" though.

Its a sweet gun but pricy.  Lothar Walther barrel.   It shoots 0.5 inches at 50 yards untuned, but falls off at 100 yards.  Going on a ground squirrel hunting trip this summer.  

You can get some PCP's around $500 that has comparable performance.  Wish i could do some eradicating like you do, but its a no-no where I live.  

Sounds like an amazing rifle!  The best I've shot is a Marauder.

Get those head shots!  Squirrels have the strongest will to survive I've ever seen.  Anything but a head shot means a chase (that's not much of an option when doing eradication in a sensitive area).  I really like rabbits! They just fall over dead typically.