Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Questions comp/brake, trigger, buffer, gb

90lxracer

So.. it's pretty much everything.. lol

I have a rifle that I can use.. and am piecing together parts for another. 

As far as comp.brakes go, i have one of those M4-72's and the concussion on that joker  does take some getting used to. I was wondering what else might be out there that's effective, BUT doesn't leave you huffing gunpowder as much? 

Trigger: what's the benefit of the flat? OR single over 2 stage? I have a geissele 2 stage national match in my gun now.. but for the new one? I was think about the geissele 3g, but I'm seeing the hyperfire 24c,  and also the ar gold..  has anyone shot all three? Which do you like, and why? 

Recoil: hydraulic over say the JP SCS? Why or why not?? for the new gun, I've got a luth AR deal.. if that would make a difference.. 

Gas blocks..  What adjustables are out there that offer great performance for value? in Ti... are thos SL7's worth the cash?? I'm going to be running a stretch 16 barrel, and a  faxon lmos bcg for this build. 

Thanks!!

Ditch the 72. Go with a Titan or Miculek or something else, the 72 is too much gas in the face to deal with.

The Sentry is a very good block Just turn the screw in and out after a range trip to keep the carbon from locking up the screw

Go with AR Gold. Great, short reset. Better break for long range than the S3G. S3G goid for bay only matches, but not that good for long range or small offhand targets. I haven't used the 24c, only played with it years ago. I liked the short reset and 2011 pistol-like feel of the AR Gold better. YMMV, try to find local people to try theirs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have a VG6 muzzle break which is light and shoots flat. I have the Tapcom ultralight buffer kit which I've tuned to work with my adjustable gas block. It helps reduce recoil, it's not pricey, and it's lighter than typical buffer setup.

My new rifle has the following

M4-72. I thought it was a bit much at first. I'm used to it now. 

Triggertech flat adjustable. I also own a SSA-E, G2S, Larue MBT & a POF flat single stage. I like them all but prefer the TT on my 3 gun rifle. 

Taccom lightweight buffer system with a LW AIM BCG & a RCA adjustable gas key. So far I really like this combo and it has been flawless. 

My barrel Is a Larue PredatAr. 

Just my .02

I'm using a DTF Industries brake, Odin works adjustable gas block and all weights removed from buffer with a regulas BCG . 16" barrel with mid length gas system. No muzzle raise what's so ever. Want to upgrade the trigger though. Looking at a 24C or a Geissele SSA-E. 

Edited by MrRick

On 4/10/2017 at 10:01 PM, AustinWolv said:

Ditch the 72. Go with a Titan or Miculek or something else, the 72 is too much gas in the face to deal with.

The Sentry is a very good block Just turn the screw in and out after a range trip to keep the carbon from locking up the screw

Go with AR Gold. Great, short reset. Better break for long range than the S3G. S3G goid for bay only matches, but not that good for long range or small offhand targets. I haven't used the 24c, only played with it years ago. I liked the short reset and 2011 pistol-like feel of the AR Gold better. YMMV, try to find local people to try theirs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Seems like for the $$$ the Miculek is hands down the best value.. is it lighter than the titan?  

I do want to try a few triggers..  I think I would be a fan of the 1911 style pieces.. I do have a 2 stage national match in the gun I have now.. but not really sure it's "one" so to speak.. 

4 hours ago, 90lxracer said:

Seems like for the $$$ the Miculek is hands down the best value.. is it lighter than the titan?  

I do want to try a few triggers..  I think I would be a fan of the 1911 style pieces.. I do have a 2 stage national match in the gun I have now.. but not really sure it's "one" so to speak.. 

Yes, the Miculek performs great.  

i have yet to see a great performing brake that doesn't piss off the neighbors, and blow your own hair back.....

tac com buffer system is ultimately the lowest reciprocating mass...  i have mine paired with rubber city gas key.....

why the luth stock?  ....  2 pounds (ish)

14 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

The Miculek is not going to be more effective than your M4-72, and it will be almost as blasty. The Titan is also harsh. The Seekins ATC is the best I've found for effectiveness without the concussion. 

Miculek won't suffocate him with gas, per his original question.

Titan and Miculek (and pretty much all brakes) are fine behind the gun, just make sure your ear pro is good.  While both of those are concussive for sure, they throw it to the sides/angled, such that the shooter isn't beat down.  With the 72, some of that seems to come straight back along with the gas......I was standing directly close behind my friend shooting one and both of us were catching it. I'd take a Titan or Miculek any day over the 72.

ROs and other people won't like the Titan, JP, Miculek, *and* a bunch of others, but nature of the beast.  What matters is behind the gun.....

Seekins makes great products. 

Edited by AustinWolv

1 hour ago, biglou13 said:

i have yet to see a great performing brake that doesn't piss off the neighbors, and blow your own hair back.....

tac com buffer system is ultimately the lowest reciprocating mass...  i have mine paired with rubber city gas key.....

why the luth stock?  ....  2 pounds (ish)

Not sure if you were asking me here?? But why I have it, I'm a pretty tall guy (6'4") so my thinking was to be able to get the length of pull, adjusted more closely using one of those. 

The reason I question  is that most ( the few I know) including me  went with lighter weight stocks ( and build in general) for for a 3G style rifle. Less mass swinging and stopping....

i I like the luth butt stock  but not for 3G  build,..   IMHO 

im also seing a trend towards raised dots for a more head upright shooting position .....changing the check weld .....

im tall ish not 6 4. and am running a fixed Fixed rifle length stock.... Every  body and shooting styles are different...

Edited by biglou13