Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Next best small pistol primer? My Federal 100's dried up...

lksyotas

On 4/12/2017 at 4:34 PM, rowdyb said:

^ using a lot of winchester spp myself i wish i'd known this earlier. i've gotten rid of two vibra primes in disgust over the years, being hopeful each time maybe this will be the magic combo. hahaha

first choice, federal gold medal match. second choice has always been winchester for me.

This may just be me, but I fine running the winchester primers through my vibraprime with the tray almost vertical (think 80degrees) allows them to run into the tubes with no problems.

I use to use Winchester SPP exclusively ... then went to Remington ... then to S&B ... each of these brands ran flawlessly thru my RF100 and every one of them went BANG..

initially I bought 10,000 of the S&B primers.. then bought 10,000 more..  no problems what so ever in loading or firing..

Used to be a primer snob. Only Federal was good enough. As they got harder to find, I used Win, CCI, Rem and Magtech. Never had issues with any of them (except Rem like d_striker) in 40 S&W or 9mm, in any guns (no experience with revolvers though). When the primer shortage got really bad a few years back I needed small pistol primers and couldn't find anything but Tula. Got a great deal on them. I'm thru 10k of them with zero malfunctions and consistent chrono stats in tuned CZ's and 1911/2011's. Gave some to friends to try. They had the same results in steel pistols with hammers, though they were unacceptable in striker guns and revos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, cecil said:

I use to use Winchester SPP exclusively ... then went to Remington ... then to S&B ... each of these brands ran flawlessly thru my RF100 and every one of them went BANG..

initially I bought 10,000 of the S&B primers.. then bought 10,000 more..  no problems what so ever in loading or firing..

I'm pretty much shooting S&B exclusive right now just because they're cheap. I use a 13# hammer spring in my CZ for the sole reason it will light everything off. I'm kind of a reliability first shooter. (Which is ironic because I break more guns than anyone in the world)

Only ever had to use Federal Primers in my worked over S&W 686. Had the hammer bobed and lightened. Would only ignite other primers some of the time. Federal never failed. With my other guns I never had a problem with any brand of primers.

On 4/12/2017 at 2:48 PM, Max It said:

out here CCI rules the roost. but what do i know. 

i only responded to see what follows from you'z guys.

Not in my roost! I have to admit I never tried CCI becuse I have only used WSP/WLP for the 18 years or so. They have worked fine in 1911 with light triggers, open guns with the same and an SP-01 set up by Angus. They also work well in my Vibra-Prime ;)

Have tried them all, from tula to fed.

The last 2yrs have been s&b exclusively because of the price, I loaded up 1.5 cents a piece.never a issue with them.

Please stay away from the s&b coming from the poor old man

I had a thought today at the range, probably not original, but here it is:

Why not use a Federal Primer for only the first shot of a stage as it will be the only DA shot. This will allow me to use a light hammer spring in my Tanfoglio. I can use any primer for all subsequent SA shots. 

I can designate the Federal primer-containing magazine with a different color basepad.

Shooting one match per week (a high estimate), I have enough to last ~35 years.  

Winchester is my #2 primer after Federal. I run Winchester in practice and save Federal for matches.

FWIW I've never had an issue with Remington 1 1/2. I use them in my unmodified revolver rounds for 38 Special. I can't recall one not going BOOM.

I bought 10k S&B primers a while back, as I was low on Winchester's...in my CZ (13lb hammer spring), 38 super, and 40 cal P9's, they all go bang...no issues...in my S&W 610 and GP100, I've had a few failures,  that all went bang on the second strike...I don't know if the Winchester's would have all gone bang in the Smith and Ruger, as I don't have anymore...but, I'm gonna buy some and find out. So, at this point, it'll be the S&B's for Production and Open, and probably Winchester for the revo's since Federals are as rare as hen's teeth.

• 2 weeks later...

S&B's have always worked great for me and are the cheapest option if you wait for sales at Cabela's.  My second choice is Ginex because I can usually find them in stock if I can't find S&B's, and they work fine.  I don't have anything like a Vibraprime, but my dad has two different products like it and says that the Ginex primers don't work well with either one, if that matters to you.  Also, both seem to deliver near identical chrono readings, so I have no issues with going back and forth as supply dictates.

I use CCIs for practice and Winchesters for matches. I tried 4K S&B and had 10% failure rate in my Glocks with 4.5 lb springs. I've never had a Winchester fail to ignite. Get get about 5/1000 failure rate on CCIs.

I use CCIs for practice and Winchesters for matches. I tried 4K S&B and had 10% failure rate in my Glocks with 4.5 lb springs. I've never had a Winchester fail to ignite. Get get about 5/1000 failure rate on CCIs.

Same here. Winchester for matches since I can't find find federal.....Just found out my comp glock eats Fiocchi primers pretty good as well.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk