Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Next best small pistol primer? My Federal 100's dried up...

lksyotas

I did a quick search and couldn't find what is recommended.  My Federal small pistol primer and Federal 100 GM lots are almost dried up.  I either need to find the super secret source for more or jump to the next softest brand.  I'm primarily shooting in a lower sprung CZ or Tanfoglio both in 9mm.  Let me know what you guys think.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by lksyotas

1 hour ago, 1991a1colt said:

Interesting read on the net shows Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers are very soft but are too soft for high intensity loads like major power factor. You may want to research that as well.

I tried those years ago, and had some issues. While the majority of them would light off, some would not. It wasn't due to light strikes, but due to the primer manufacturing process Remington used. It seems that they didn't seat the anvil in the primer cup completely when they were manufactured,  and the loading process completed the seating process for the anvil. So, in order to get consistent results, I had to crush the primers in, using more force than I would have liked to. I switched back to Winchester primers and have never had anymore issues. 

2 hours ago, 1991a1colt said:

Interesting read on the net shows Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers are very soft 

That is the first time I have ever heard a Remington primer called soft. Ever!

Here is some information from the 2016 USPSA nationals. Looks like Winchester was the most popular followed by CCI and then Federal. Based on that I use Winchester in my Open major gun and it runs great.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/uspsa-gear-report?utm_source=DAA+Live+Site+Customer+DB&utm_campaign=39f58d68f6-Mark_7_machines_and_accessories10_21_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d35278cb58-39f58d68f6-107941489

Edited by zipollini

So heres my 2 cents.  I prefer federals just like the rest of the world then the second choice becomes a bit hazy.  I like the winchesters for the sensitivity, which at the end of the day has never even been an issue for me its just an observation. However if you are using or plan to use any kind of automatic primer filler the winchester primers just suck.  I don't know why but they are awful.  I have a vibra prime and a RF 100 and they suck in both of them.  I haven't had any issues with the cci.  If your running a 1911 or 2011 the sensitivity really isn't as big a deal as some other guns.  If you cant get federals I would go cci unless your running a tuned glock or something of that nature.  If you are running a automatic primer filler and buy winchesters just sell it and buy more winchesters.     

^ using a lot of winchester spp myself i wish i'd known this earlier. i've gotten rid of two vibra primes in disgust over the years, being hopeful each time maybe this will be the magic combo. hahaha

first choice, federal gold medal match. second choice has always been winchester for me.

I used to run a very lightly sprung CZ.  When I started getting low on federals, I did some testing with Winchester, CCI, and Remington.  I crush seated all of them on a 650 as deep as I could get them.

Most winchesters would go bang.  Maybe 1 out of 100 wouldn't fire.

CCI were next best...Maybe 2-3 out of 100 wouldn't fire.

Remington were the worst out of these three.  Maybe 6-8 that wouldn't fire.  One weird thing with the Remington's were the actual depth of the primer.  I couldn't get 100 SPP's to fit in a Dillon primer tube.  Dimensionally, they were taller than the Fed's, and Wins.  I think this had a lot to do with the failure rate.  Even if you crush seated them into the pocket to where the radius on the edges were gone, they still sat higher comparatively.

Edited by d_striker

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

^ using a lot of winchester spp myself i wish i'd known this earlier. i've gotten rid of two vibra primes in disgust over the years, being hopeful each time maybe this will be the magic combo. hahaha

Yeah. It's the Winchester primers, not the vibraprime. I have to back him up on that.

CCIs and Federals glide through a vibraprime perfectly. If I fill all nine of my tubes with 900 CCIs, I might have 2 or 3 primers hang up briefly and need a tap.

With Winchesters? Well, you know that part of the story already. Not good times.

(Apparently the PAL filler will work great with Winchesters, but for the price of ten vibraprimes it had better!)

Edited by MemphisMechanic