Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Commercial 9mm major loads.

ZoomZoom

As I am unsure of the viability or my commitment to my M&P Open gun project I'm reluctant to commit financial resources to a 9mm reloading set up. 

Is anyone aware of a new or remanufactured load that would make major out of a 5 inch barrel? 

They are the only ones I've seen, and they use a 147gr bullet to do so.  You'll likely wait a long time for the next batch, because that bullet weight is not very desirable for open.  IMO, you would be lucky to find a commercial load that optimized you port/comp configuration.

20 hours ago, ZoomZoom said:

As I am unsure of the viability or my commitment to my M&P Open gun project I'm reluctant to commit financial resources to a 9mm reloading set up. 

Is anyone aware of a new or remanufactured load that would make major out of a 5 inch barrel? 

If you shoot 9 major out of a M&P, you can expect to crack the slide in just over a year of competition (I've cracked two, couldn't get Smith to sell me a slide and couldn't find one short of buying a complete gun. I've since changed to a STI that was built as a 9 Major gun from the beginning) Another thing about shooting Major PF, is that the load has to be tailored to the individual gun. I had a load that calculated to 172 PF, but when I shot it out of another gun, it was only 164 PF. After that different shooters prefer different loads. Small adjustments to powder type and amount can change the feel tremendously. I'd suggest getting the reloading equipment, you can always use it as long as you are shooting,.

1 hour ago, pjb45 said:

Does major 9 violate SAAMI guidelines for pressure?

If so, the risk management folks should pitch a fit.  That is a lawsuit waiting to happen re: federal primer packaging.

No more "liable" than any other non-SAAMI loads on the niche market, like .45 Colt +P, and .38/9 +P+, etc.

21 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

My local club has a member who reloads many calibers on various 1050 machines -

he graciously sells loaded ammo (including 9mm) to us if we need some   :) 

You might find someone like that in your neighborhood  ... 

Hope that guy is licensed to do so.

MAC702, I agree. Those on the fringe/edge are not big enough fish to most lawyers. Federal was a big fish.

Dillon makes it easy to load your own.

I used a small commercial reloader for my 45 and 40.  When I switch to 40 I gave him a FCD.  He pitched a fit bring out articles on long guns and crimps.  He did his testing and was satisfied I was not a complete idiot-partial but not complete.  I actually gave him my powder and bullets to load.  He dedicated a 1050 just for my ammo.  I now own that 1050.  Best investment I ever made, yes I did the cost benefit analysis and also determine my breakeven point.

Regardless, there are a lot of people loading on less expensive Dillon and are very happy.

Buy Blue

I started reloading on a Dillon SDB.  It is a great press, but slow.  I have subsequently moved on.  If I didn't reload so many calibers I'd definitely be using a Super 1050, automated.

I know exactly where you're coming from, I've been there, like many others :cheers:

Here's my advice: don't bother with commercially loaded 9 major, it's going to be expensive and won't give you the flexibility you need when you're just starting out; also, don't buy a low-end reloading press, when you get hooked on Open, you'll be upgrading immediately to a 650 or 1050.

Go to a local match meet the 9 major shooters (they'll be the ones NOT counting their brass! :roflol:) make a friend, and make a deal to load on his press.  Be creative and find a way to bring value to the exchange (collect/sort /process brass for the pair of you, provide components, or pull the handle on his ammo too).

I've mentored a few new reloaders and as long as you're courteous and appreciative you'll build an amicable relationship.

I actually shot a fair amount of USPSA back in the days of single port compensators, 38 supers and 185 power factor. Had a couple 550's set up and shotgun/rifle were "side matches."

I have flirted with the idea of getting back into pistol sport a few times off and on over the years with a couple outdated open guns that never ran. The M&P project came along last year when a CORE ended up in my hands that a client did not want.

Unfortunately for my bank account I live only about 20 minutes away from Adam and Atlas Gunworks. After speaking with them last week, they have something in mind that might work for my massive hand. If I go that route I'll be back in the deep end new reloading set up and all.

I still may order a little 9mm major just to see how long it takes to crack a slide on that M&P. 

1 minute ago, ShortBus said:

Well, I think you definitely turned out better than we all thought you would haha

Someday I will tell you all about the first open gun Caspian ever built and they throated the barrel. 

.38 Super & throated barrels = ☠️