Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun with comp removed for Limited?

mushroom09

Hello All,

Been lurking for a bit and recently joined, love the community here. I'm new to USPSA and 3-gun and I'm looking for my first 2011. I'm weighing a few different options and have what may be a stupid question: If one buys an open gun to have the option of shooting open-class, is there any reason you couldn't remove the compensator, assuming it is not attached permanently, and the other go-fast bits such as the racker and optic mount and 170mm mags and then use that pistol in Limited? I ask because there are a number of great deals for used open guns and it seems like if this were an option it would open up the possibility of using one gun for both to try out the different classes. Appreciate any info! 

Most open guns are set up for some form of .355-357 projectiles, 9mm major, 38 Super, 38SC, 38TJ, etc. Limited requires minimum of .400 bullets to score major unless using a .357 Sig or some such. There are some .40 Open guns out there too, and that would let you score major with Optic and comp removed, but it probably doesn't have Iron sights on it, so then you're going to have to solve that problem.

It's not that you can't do what you are suggesting, it's just that it likely isn't going to be anywhere near an optimal setup for either Division once you have it reworked to be able to shoot both. And, it's not going to be free either.

Pick whichever one you want the most and get that one. Shoot whichever division that pistol puts you in and if you decide, down the road, that you want a gun for the other Division, buy one set up for it.

I really wanted to have a 2nd top-end built for my .40 Limited gun to shoot 9mm for 3-Gun. Turns out that I could nearly purchase a used STI 9mm something for the same cost as building and fitting a new top-end to the existing gun. I just saved and extra $500 and bought another complete pistol instead. YMMV.

Edited by wgj3

To be blunt, this is a terrible idea.  In mounting a frame red dot, removing the comp, adding irons to the slide, way to much work just to shoot a different division.   Even running an iron sighted top end to swap in sucks when you unmount the red dot then have to loctite it all back on and confirm zero all over again.  

I tried this, which is how I know how much it sucks.  If you swapped from a slide mounted red dot top end to an irons top end it would be a different story.  But then I feel you won't really be situating yourself for success in either division.  

7 hours ago, ScottieShootz said:

To be blunt, this is a terrible idea.  In mounting a frame red dot, removing the comp, adding irons to the slide, way to much work just to shoot a different division.   Even running an iron sighted top end to swap in sucks when you unmount the red dot then have to loctite it all back on and confirm zero all over again.  

I tried this, which is how I know how much it sucks.  If you swapped from a slide mounted red dot top end to an irons top end it would be a different story.  But then I feel you won't really be situating yourself for success in either division.  

Totally agree, tried it too.  I might be on board if the top end had completely independent parts and a slide-mounted optic.  I'm not crazy about slide mounted optics so I wouldn't personally.