Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Buffers - Blitzkrieg Hydraulic, MBX Recoil Reduction, Taccom ULW

Looks like there are a couple options out there now for 'recoil-reducing' buffer systems:

Blitzkrieg's Hydraulic Buffer

blitzkrieg-components-9mm-hydraulic-buff

https://www.blitzkriegcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AR15-KYNJP-9C

Taccom's ULW PCC System:

ulw-9mm-recoil-system--750x563.jpg

https://taccom3g.com/product/complete-ulw-pcc-recoil-system/

And MBX's upcoming buffer system:

Looks like the MBX isn't widely available yet, but I'm curious how these all compare. Blitzkrieg's hydraulic one seems the most promising since it can convert some of the recoil energy to heat, while in the MBX just having a spring will still send that energy back into the bolt slamming into the barrel. 

Haven't seen much out there about the Taccom one, has anyone tried it?

Hello: How about the JP system that is tunable by changing weights and springs. The MBX system looks good for recoil but I think it still will dip when the bolt goes forward with two springs pushing the bolt forward. The hydraulic buffer will work but may change slightly as the weather changes and so does the fluid in the buffer as it heats up. One of the best recoil reducing things is to tune your loads for your setup. Thanks, Eric

I am running the Taccom 2-piece PCC buffer with their light AR spring and it works well. You can hear the spring, but very little bounce and is soft. Tried a JP and without doing any tuning couldn't really tell the difference.

gerritm

6 hours ago, JesseTischauser said:

"I wouldn't have one that match if it wasn't for my super duper recoil reducing buffer"

-said nobody ever

But My dumb a$$ still bought a Blitzkrieg to try because I can't leave well enough alone.

Hehe, thats funny, sad, and true. I did the same. 

Picked up the MBX buffer at the Area 1 vendor table.  I've simply been too lazy to test it back to back with my old setup, an extended heavy buffer with XP spring.  So far in two matches it seems to help a little with dot movement, but we are talking about a 125 grain BBI with only about 3.3 grains of Solo 1000 for 135pf. More testing to follow with Bill Drills at 7 and 15 yards.  So far I like the MBX buffer.  Well made and machined in my opinion, and I like the ability to tune the buffer by changing the internal spring and shortening the overall length by loosening a set screw though I'll probably not mess with it.

The biggest difference in recoil and dot movement was dropping my charge weight down about .7 grains with my regular Production loads.  135 pf out of the P226 makes 155 pf out of the PCC.      

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2017 at 0:31 AM, JesseTischauser said:

"I wouldn't have one that match if it wasn't for my super duper recoil reducing buffer"

-said nobody ever

But My dumb a$$ still bought a Blitzkrieg to try because I can't leave well enough alone.

I DID win that match right after switching to a Blitzkrieg/Kynshot 9mm hydraulic buffer + AR10 spring :devil:

Ran the MBX buffer with an XP buffer spring and some of my old Production loads yesterday at a match.  These loads make 155 pf out of my 16" rifle.  Buffer worked great.  I think the buffer works its magic with hotter loads.  With my dedicated PCC loads the buffer didn't feel like it did much, but really shined with the hotter loads.  Don't think I'm going to bother with a compensator now.  +1 for MBX...

I'm using the Blitzkrieg hydraulic now with the kaw valley precision 308/pistol caliber extra power spring. In the end I bet most of the double spring buffers work pretty similarly. I was even having trouble distinguishing between the hydraulic and solid buffers. Possibly the KVP 7.5 oz buffer felt *slow*, but it was subtle.

Just installed the mbx buffer in my psa lower. It really minimizes the bounce but the biggest thing I feel is the bolt speed. The system stops the bolt just far enough to clear the mag. No more slugish feeling and  I don't have to worry bout lrbho cause the psa didn't have that.  This setup seems to work better with  my normal pistol loads than a lower load built for the carbine.  3.2 tg under 147gr RMR hc match rn. Haven't run it on a chrono yet. When I tried 2.8 tg I had a low left bounce and with 3.2 gun stats centered. 

• 2 months later...

I installed by MBX buffer last week. I would have to test side by side with the original buffer so probably not a lot of difference with lower power loads. I do love the Fang stock extedner that I installed. That makes a huge difference although adds weight. Worth it for me.

• 1 year later...

Do we have any updates to this in the last year?  I just got a PWS PCC and I am looking to reduce the recoil down some to help with red dot bounce and frankly to stop from jarring my entire jaw. LOL.  I have narrowed it down to the Taccom and the MBX but I wanted to know if anyone else has addition info or feedback before I order one. 

Thank you 

I don't reload so for the 115-gr Blazer Brass that I buy in bulk, I've been happiest with a Kynshot Hydraulic Carbine (RB5000) with a .308 carbine spring and a wave spring added at the rear for my 16" 9mm Carbine upper, and a Kynshot 9mm Hydraulic (RB5007) with an extra-power .556 carbine spring with a 12" barrel upper.

Best combination of softened impact and less muzzle rise with that load.  Trying the same buffer setup in the 16" with 124-gr Freedom made it feel like it was under water.  Figured it would feel better since those slower 124's feel softer in a handgun.  But in the carbine, it cycled slower and you really felt the weight of the bolt/buffer moving more.  On the other end, 115-gr Winchester White Box with the same carbine feels harsh.  Surprising how much the difference in loads completely changes the characteristics of the gun with a chosen buffer system.

Edited by MoRivera
On 9/15/2018 at 7:15 PM, Nitro1 said:

Do we have any updates to this in the last year?  I just got a PWS PCC and I am looking to reduce the recoil down some to help with red dot bounce and frankly to stop from jarring my entire jaw. LOL.  I have narrowed it down to the Taccom and the MBX but I wanted to know if anyone else has addition info or feedback before I order one. 

Thank you 

Currently run the 9mm Armaspec buffer(5.4oz)

So far it seems to cycle everything(115gr blazer to super light steel loads).
It's basically a 2 stage JP SCS
first stage is lighter than the JP, second stage is heavier.

probably one of the cheapest AR9 buffer options as well

I just ordered the Taccom 3 stage to compare

I posted this somewhere else in here, but I have/had several setups

- Armaspec Stealth

- Regular 5.X oz buffer

- Blitzkrieg Hydo buffer

- Taccom 3-stage

Softest: Hydro. By far. More dot bounce though

Fastest: Armaspec w/ homemade short-stroke spacer (delrin w/ hole drilled for center-rod to pass through)

Best combo: Taccom

I would imagine the Taccom w/ the SS upgrade would be the same as the armaspec in speed and still retain an edge in recoil management. My wife now shoot the blitz, since recoil is more of a concern than speed for her. I have no experience w. the MBX, but it looks like a better/fancier mousetrap as compared to the taccom. If I were smart enough to make the Armaspec adjustable via spring rate I'd probably still be running it. Didn't play nice w/ 5.5" ULW barrel. 

The more I've tried different buffer combinations, the more it seems that impact/recoil and muzzle rise are at opposite ends in terms of what buffer combinations affect.  As in.....with a lighter/quicker system you feel more kick but get less muzzle rise/dot bounce, and a heavier/slower system softens recoil but there's more muzzle movement.  And then different loads can make the same single system feel like one or the other of the aforementioned.  I've heard/read that some don't mind a hard kick as long as the dot/muzzle stay as stationary as possible.  For me, I feel like I've found a good balance between the two with a specific load, in terms of what's comfortable and manageable for now.  If I feel I need more speed, then I may start adjusting.