Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

African Americans in shooting competition?

teegray1124

I don't think this is a dumb topic, it's certainly not dumb to the OP who is trying to increase the diversity within this sport. I think it's commendable.

A few years back there were very few women in this sport, and while they are still a minority, there is no doubt that significant growth has occurred. Much of that growth can be attributed to the women themselves; They formed a group called 'Women of USPSA' and actively promoted their participation in the sport on social media.

I think a similar process could work for other minorities too, showing photos and videos on Facbook, YouTube, twitter, Instagram etc could encourage others to try out the sport.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White non Latino people make up 62% of the people in America. African American people make up 12%.    There are 326,000,000 people in America.  So roighly 202,000,000 white people, roughly 39,120,000 black people.. 

USPSA has roughly 25,000 members. Obviously we can't track the non member stats.. so out of 326,000,000 only 25,000 of them shoot USPSA.

i think a pistol competitor is already rare regardless of color. 

Why does it matter. This is the dumbest topic ive ever seen.  

The fact that you called the topic dumb and from your response shows your level of comprehension. First the question was why I haven't seen enough African Americans in the sport? I was just trying to increase awareness and diversity in the sport... or maybe Im missing something and would like to know how others felt about it.

So from the looks of the thread it seems like everyone who has engaged in the discussion thought otherwise and didn't find a reason to demean the integrity of the question as you have done.

Bro if you have nothing positive to contribute, best to say nothing.

Trust me it isn't the dumbest topic you've ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think that there are many answers to your question and it would be different for each black person that had ever thought about shooting this sport. I'm in the same boat with most other shooters in that I shoot with a very diverse crowd. I've invited lots of people, of all different colors,  to shoot a match and I don't think I've had one person take me up on the offer. I've even offered to loan people the gear and still get turned down. 

DagoRed "The bigger question is why so many super squads are Filippino? When the question is really why aren't there more Italian shooters?

Pinoys start out shooting from the time they can walk.... The Philippines, about the same size as Arizona, has 3 times the number of gun clubs.

image36798.jpg

Edited by 9x45

I'm not going to tap dance around this subject. About 95% of the people that shoot our sport don't care if a person is white, black, or sky blue pink with purple spots. We"re all here to have a good time. Come shoot with us. And if you're part of the other 5%, you can kiss my gratuitous backside. 

On 4/10/2017 at 9:06 PM, srrch said:

A few of the nonsense reasons stated in this thread are:

1. Can't afford it.

2. Have felonies.

I read these, and literally laughed out loud at work. 

Also I laughed when I read "Darrell Wallace," because that just sounds exactly like a famous person name to me. I have never watched NASCAR, but I can just picture it... "Pleasure to meet, I'm Darrell Wallace. NASCAR driver."

On a more serious note, I think DagoRed might be on to something. Regardless of anything else, having friends that want to do whatever activity with you is the key. Some people are willing to just go try something and stick it out until they become part of the community and make new friends, but most people are much more comfortable going into (and sticking with) something if they have friends that also participate in the activity. 

I don't think this is a dumb topic. Try to think of it from a different perspective. what if one of us whiteys went to an activity in which ONLY hispanics were present (like a raiders game, for instance). Or what if we went to an activity that was all female? would we feel welcome? included? weird? I bet we would at least notice it. OTOH, the majority population at that activity might well not notice it or not even be aware of it.

If I can do something to make someone feel welcome at a shooting event, why shouldn't I do it?

Ok, that does it!  We are talking about competition shooting, not football. So we will take everyone, EXCEPT, the Irish. They are short, known cheaters and like to fight about everything.....

On 4/10/2017 at 0:36 PM, Sarge said:

I'm not sold on the cost part of it. I'm not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination and I still manage to shoot all I want. I'm not convinced all blacks are poor either.

That last sentence wasn't my point at all.

Merely that if you want a better demographic check on population in USPSA matches (one that correlates better), socioeconomic status would be a better choice than race.

And one doesn't have to be wealthy to shoot USPSA.  One does, however, either need some disposable income, OR have an interest that precludes spending money on other interests.

Later, someone said:
"I think $$ rarely is the reason, of all the activities I've done shooting is actually not that pricey. Cost of entry is low compared to quads, golf, scuba etc. cost to shoot is pretty cheap, what $50-$60 per match?"

....and every single activity in that list takes money.  Hence my comment.  People close to the poverty level don't golf, buy a quad, or go scuba-diving.   As such, saying it is similar to shooting doesn't address the point.

In my state, the population is predominantly white non-Hispanic (approximately 80-85%).  Of the people who are non-white, a large percentage are urban (over half of all minorities in Nebraska live in the Omaha metro area--in one city), with a median income almost $17K less than the median white income.  Obviously there are plenty of rich non-white people, and plenty of poor white people.      But....in general, minorities in Nebraska are urban, with a significantly lower income.

That makes it much less likely (in Nebraska) that they would be introduced to gun games in the first place (much more prevalent in rural areas) and have the extra money to add a sport that isn't cheap.

This may be not true in other areas.  It certainly cannot be the entire reason for any particular number of competitor demographics in Nebraska (I'm sure social groups and plenty of other things are factors also).  That being said...if you didn't own gun gear in the first place, and live in a city that only recently has added some more indoor ranges and started holding matches, and don't have much extra money---gun games are probably going to be something a little lower on your priority list.

Edited by Thomas H

I shoot mostly in SE PA.  Every shoot looks like the United Nations.  On my squad on Saturday's shoot there were two black Americans,  one black Jamacan, two Russians, one Japanese, one Korean, one Italian and five white Americans.  The only ones who did not speak with foreign accents were the seven Americans.

Z, they are called matches, not shoots. So if African Americans can jump in, what about African Canadians or African Australians, or British Africans, heck why not all Africans?. Next thing you know the Afrika Korp's will want in. But watch out for those South Africans, they are really black at all, but of  Dutch descent and speak heeber jeeber and wear wooden shoes.

9d9017b1a46ce7d272157523a535a9f2.jpg

I never really understood this 'African American' nonsense.  They are Black.  Just like I am brown.  I am not Colombian American, My wife is not a Chinese American she is yellow.  None of my black friends think they are from Africa or even consider themselves African.  Black is a color, it is not a bad word.

And neither is White a color of bad.... I have a Navajo friend who says he is "red on the outside, but really white on the inside" and I say I "really" am white on the outside and red on the inside. By the way, the Navajo word for dead is "Him who walks no more......"

Edited by 9x45

On 4/19/2017 at 8:21 PM, Jollymon32 said:

I never really understood this 'African American' nonsense.  They are Black.  Just like I am brown.  I am not Colombian American, My wife is not a Chinese American she is yellow.  None of my black friends think they are from Africa or even consider themselves African.  Black is a color, it is not a bad word.

couldn't agree more. 

4 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Then again I had an army buddy who said he was not black, he was brown. 

I could agrree with this as well. I have the same complexion as properly cooked shrimp. 

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with those who've said this isn't a dumb topic.

It is an important topic for now - because people who would ban our sport (and deprive us of our rights) insist on implying that we gun owners are all racists rural dwellers who "bitterly cling to guns and religion."

The reality of USPSA in my experience has been: tolerance.  If you opt to participate, you are welcome - regardless of heritage or sex.  This is as it should be.  I wish the message would get out to more shooters - of any color - that they should just show up & give USPSA a try.  

Around 2005, a black woman showed up at my match (as in: I designed it, built it, and ran it).  Me and my ROs hadn't met her before. So based only on not knowing her, I assumed she was a newbie.  Well, when I thumbed the timer, her Glock flew from the holster and she planted an A-zone hit in under 1 second, then shot lots of "A"s on that first stage.  She was no newbie!

She turned out to be Front Sight cover-girl Dr. Laura Torres-Reyes!  USPSA could not ask for a better ambassador for the sport!  I'm honored to call her a friend and worthy competitor; we last shot together last summer.

anywho - we shouldn't care what a shooter looks like - and in general, we don't.  All are welcome.  

And also: Pinoys love guns!  I don't know what it is about the Philippino culture - but there's definitely an appreciation for guns!!  Pinoys are great folks and an asset to USPSA. 

Edited by Carlos

On 4/20/2017 at 10:05 PM, Sarge said:

Then again I had an army buddy who said he was not black, he was brown. 

When I asked that question in the Marines. Most answered that they were GREEN.

I believe this man said it best.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."   Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Worrying why more people of this skin color or that skin color do or don't participate in the shooting sports is about as shallow as it gets.  We are born with the skin God gave us and have no control over that.  The content of our character on the other hand is completely within our control and is the only real detail about a person that I care about.

I my opinion, the shooting sports is very diverse, if you can get passed a persons skin color.  At my club match, we average around 65 shooters as month and we have folks from all walks of life.

Just to name a few...

We have doctors, farmers, mechanics, military, attorneys, stay home moms, retired folks, law enforcement, hair dressers, business owners, engineers, salesman, insurance adjusters, property managers, realtors, lots of folks in the medical fields, juniors, and of course, the list goes on and on.

Their reasons for being there are very diverse as well.  Just to list a few...

The attorney and his young daughter that are spending time together doing something they both enjoy.

The junior shooter that is thinking about maybe being a professional shooter or going to the olympics someday.

The Veteran that is using the match as a chance to hang out with other Vets and shoot guns.

The stay at home Mom that is looking for some "me time" to get out of the house and socialize.

The competitive person that is just looking someone to crush.

The tactical trainers that show up to drum up business.

The tactical minded folks who want to train under the pressure of competition.

The buddies who just what to hang out and catch up with one another.

The retired folks that are looking for a reason to get out of the house or something new to try.

I think what is great about our sport is the fact that such a diverse group of people can come together for a diverse group of reasons and get to know one another because of our common interest in shooting guns.  Notice that I didn't mention anyone's skin color...that's because it doesn't matter.