Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

African Americans in shooting competition?

teegray1124

I have always wondered why I haven’t seen many African Americans in the shooting sports? I'll come out right away with the fact that I am 33yr old Black mixed male, i'm an LE in Texas. I've enjoyed shooting as long as i can remember and also reload my own ammunition but I have never competed, and i just wanted to know if there were any on this forum that could give insight if there are actually any AA competitors. I actually live in a decent area were racism isn't as prevalent . But do you think that the common "Stereotypes" for African-Americans would tend to keep them away from the shooting sports along with other ethnic groups. Thanks in advance hoe i didn't offend anyone.
Edited by teegray1124

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Nebraska, where the percentage of the population that is non-Caucasian folks is extremely small.

And yet, there are plenty of non-Caucasian folks who shoot competitions around here.

I think that the considering how expensive this sport is, the real bar to participation is cost, and thus poverty stats would probably show as being much more important in terms of demographics that anything else.

lol

I agree with you that it is rare to see an African American competing around me BUT all kinds of people shoot this sport.

The USPSA crowd is usually one of the nicest crowds. Always willing to help out.

Where are you located in TX? I am in Wichita Falls and have shot in a few areas of the state.

Don't worry about it man. Just go to a match and ask questions. No one will judge you buy your skin color in this sport.

On the lines of sterotypes keeping people away from the sport I have no idea. I have wondered a few times about why it's rare to see an AA at shooting events or at the local range.

It's kind of like seeing a AA cowboy. Rare but does happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will get the thread locked I'm sure since it's a political opinion. Are not most blacks in America Democrats and therefore tend to be more on the liberal anti gun side of the equation? 

I'm not sold on the cost part of it. I'm not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination and I still manage to shoot all I want. I'm not convinced all blacks are poor either.

I shoot at a higher-end range in Midtown Atlanta.  There are plenty of African Americans shooting there on Saturdays and Sundays (when I usually go).  Not sure how many of them compete, though.

As an interesting aside, the range is near Georgia Tech and I am always surprised to see the high percentage of younger, college-aged (maybe even "hipster"-like) shooters that I see.  If you saw these people on the street, you would think that they fit the profile of liberals, but nonetheless they are out in force enjoying shooting in high numbers at this range.  

Edited by jroback

I don't really pay that much attention to skin tone, but I suspect for most blacks outside of LE and military, responsible shooting is just not part of their lives or culture growing up. The darker-skinned folks I do see at matches are all great folks tho, just like everyone else I know that shoots.

Frankly, one of the things I like about shooting is the general lack of identity politics. We all just like to shoot.

I have to admit that I never thought too much about it. Here in Central Florida, I'm seeing a broad range of cultures. As with any group of people, I've come across a few that, obviously, are paths will not cross if it doesn't have to. But, yet, everyone has been agreeable. 

I have made a comment to a few other blacks that there is an awkwardness when we meet/pass each other on the range as if there is a requirement that we all acknowledge each other. I always find that pretty funny as it reminds me of a few things back in 6th grade. There is an economic factor to consider and what is the black pct of the population 10%, 12%, 20%? There are a lot of hobbies to be had and I don't think there should be an even distribution by race.   wink-wink.

It is what it is.

this is one of the topics that people are afraid to share their experiences because of concerns about being called a racist. the few black shooters i have met in the PNW have been pretty good people. they seem to be the " silent blacks" that just keep to themselves , work a job and raise a family. Conservative types one would say.  

i can count on 2 hands the amount of black folks i have met at idpa and uspsa matches though. one guy i squadded with i asked him " how come you don't bring some of the brothers to intro them to this sport:?  His reply was interesting and frank. He said" many of them are felons so they can't even have a gun".  this guy is a construction worker that works in  the big city 

i have found the shooting sports to be one of the most inclusive sports around.  most shooter don't care what color you are as long as you don't do stupid crap and are unsafe.   

I think the problem is that the sport hasn't reached out to minority gunowners and shooters, but some folks honestly may not know how to.

Perhaps me being an AA minority shooter I can find A way to bridge this gap and bring more young responsible people to the shooting sports.

Poverty isn't what limits us from doing it, we are just not well informed.

For example All the shooting literature I see, including magazines and television, can be divided into two types:

"Tactical" stuff & hunting stuff where the only people depicted are white Republican male type. lol. By the way not all AA are democrats.

lol

I agree with you that it is rare to see an African American competing around me BUT all kinds of people shoot this sport.

The USPSA crowd is usually one of the nicest crowds. Always willing to help out.

Where are you located in TX? I am in Wichita Falls and have shot in a few areas of the state.

Don't worry about it man. Just go to a match and ask questions. No one will judge you buy your skin color in this sport.

On the lines of sterotypes keeping people away from the sport I have no idea. I have wondered a few times about why it's rare to see an AA at shooting events or at the local range.

It's kind of like seeing a AA cowboy. Rare but does happen.

From houston Texas

This will get the thread locked I'm sure since it's a political opinion. Are not most blacks in America Democrats and therefore tend to be more on the liberal anti gun side of the equation? 
  I'm not sold on the cost part of it. I'm not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination and I still manage to shoot all I want. I'm not convinced all blacks are poor either.

Hey sarge not an opinion but merely a question, no one I know from my 33 years has been anti-gun but perception has been a serious issue on why AA haven't been able to grasp the sport.

1 hour ago, Sandbagger123 said:

...with i asked him " how come you don't bring some of the brothers to intro them to this sport:?

I know this may sound inflammatory. But, my intention is merely a personal perspective. Each black person does not speak for a group. I apologize for jumping onto what is a personal pet peeve.

What does reach out to a group of individuals mean? I hear that all the time, but honestly don't know what it means.

USPSA is open to all reputable individuals. Everybody that I have seen is welcomed with open arms and guided through the process with rules and equipment.

Our competition is intense. Unfortunately it is just not for everyone due to the intimidation factor of the actual shooting.

It could be because of fear.  Not fear of the competition,  but fear of squads of Caucasians walking around with guns. Personally,  I don't care if you are purple with pink polka dots, if you want to shoot, come to the range.

8 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

It could be because of fear.  Not fear of the competition,  but fear of squads of Caucasians walking around with guns. Personally,  I don't care if you are purple with pink polka dots, if you want to shoot, come to the range.

That still doesn't tell me what reach out means. To your point though, if someone has such ingrained fear perhaps that is more on them than us.

How exactly would that work?

You found this forum. You can google shooting sports or practical shooting, or other combinations. Many gun clubs have web pages that give updated information about match dates and other information.

When I got started I searched out a club and drove 3 1/2 hours each way to shoot. It's not all that hard.

I've hosted a few bachelor parties in my backyard range and there's always been 4-8 guys of African descent. Most of them where either first time shooters or had only shot at previous events at my house. They always have a good time but have absolutely zero interest in building skills or competing. I do see more black people at matches closer to Chicago but still not many.

All other sports don't  "reach out" to any group. This is , and has been an an all inclusive sport. Those who want to participate can, compete at their  own volition.  USPSA,  as well as the other shooting  sports welcome all. If a person wants to compete, come on...there is no race thing here or in any of the shooting sports I have competed in, or am aware of....a moot point if you ask me.

If someone wants to compete...come on...Race, color, creed is not measured. Only ability.

Edited by TISCHLJ

I'm also in the Houston area (just north of The Woodlands).  There are plenty of matches in the area to choose from. I sometimes think that there are not many LEOs in the sport, but then we don't spend a lot of time visiting on occupations.

If you would like PM me I'll be glad to give you a list of when and where we are shooting.  My recommendation is come out and give it a try.

Bill

As Gary has stated, the information is out there for anyone who has access. This sport is not for everyone regardless of background. How many of us have seen a new shooter show up at a match, have a good time, leave the range with a smile on their face ... and you never see them again? I've felt like a caged animal for the last 3 1/2 years not being able to safely compete in the shooting sports due to heart issues which we're still hoping to get ironed out, but I'll volunteer to set up an occasional classifier to help out. The people who want to get into this sport will get into it. All we can do is offer encouragement and information to those who dare to screw up the courage to simply ask.