Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pass-through case resizing problem?

dsu96

Hi all -- I'm currently using a multi-step full-case resizing process, and I'm concerned that I may have a problem.  I'll preface this by saying I'm somewhat new to reloading.  Here's my process and situation:

Step 1:  Dry-tumble range brass to clean

Step 2:  Lube cases with lanolin/alcohol mixture

Step 3:  Resize brass with Lee .40 pass-thru die (extra lube with Unique case sizing wax)

Step 4:  Lube cases with lanolin/alcohol mixture

Step 5:  Resize brass with Dillon .40 pass-thru die (extra lube with Unique case sizing wax)

Step 6:  Dry-tumble brass to remove lube residue

Here's my "problem".  When I push the brass through the Lee die, I use what I would consider an appropriate amount of force.  While there is some resistance, for the most part, the brass passes through the die relatively smoothly.  However, when I go to push the brass through the Dillon die, I have to use what I consider an extreme amount of force to push the brass through.  So much force at times that I have to put a lot of my weight into the downstroke, to the point where I've broken the table the press is mounted to.

It seems as though most, if not all, of the "hangups" occur at the base of the brass at the extractor ring/collar.  

Sometimes the brass pushes through "OK"....other times I have to really force it.  And if I don't push the brass through the Lee die first, forget about pushing it through the Dillon die.

I've tried using less lube, I've tried using more lube, I've tried using different types of lube.  The above combo seems to be the "best", but I'm still concerned that there's something wrong b/c I have to use so much force.

When I go through all these steps, all of the brass case gauges just fine and works fine in my guns....just concerned about the amount of force.

Any thoughts as to what could be wrong or what I could be doing different?  FWIW, my press is an old Lee turret press that I inherited a while ago.

Thanks!

I forget the exact dimensions, but an actual resizing die like your Dillon will be several thou smaller than the Lee FCD.

I pass my .40 and 10 brass through a Lee FCD, and then I resize like normal with a Dillon die -- don't push the brass through the Dillon die.

Agreed with above. I use the Redding GRx die (similar to the Lee die). The Dillon resizing die is not made to be used as a push thru. 

Best bet would be to do the following. 

Here are the steps I do with mine. 

Tumble 

Resize using GRx die  (I don't use lube as I use a carbide die, so use lube if your Lee is not carbide)

Then I load it on my 650 with the first station being the normal Dillon resizing die with the de-capping pin installed. 

Edited by anbrumm

If you want to do pass through get the GRX and a single stage press.  The Lee die is not made for pass through.  The bottom is sized properly but I doubt they do the level of precision on the top that they do on the bottom. It's probably not far off but I doubt it's as consistent as the sizing part of the die

Edited by slimm609

Does the GRX die provide any additional benefits over the Lee FCD?  Trying to justify/rationalize the $85 spend on the GRX...

Edited by dsu96

I've used a Casemaster Jr (Magma Eng) for a number of years to resize 40 S&W and 10mm brass. I hook up my Dillon case feeder to it and can "push through" 1200-1300 per hour using it. Big benefit of it is that the case is pushed base-first through the die versus neck first using Lee or Redding push through dies.

Seems like a lot of lubing and work for a straight walled pistol case.  Here's my routine on a 650-

1) Decap

2) Wet tumble with synthetic wax during rinse step

3) Resize using a Lee die on Station 1

4) Seat using a Lee die on Station 4

5) Debell/crimp using Lee FCD on Station 5

You could skip step 1 if you'd like.  Some folks do this, some don't, I'm not doing commercial scale reloading so I don't mind spending the time doing this.  You could just as easily decap in station 1 with either the Lee or Dillon dies.