Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Selection: Multi brand or just one

crispyrice

Hey everyone I'm looking to start down the path of reloading and have been doing a lot of research and slowly buying everything and have a question about powder selection. It seems like there are several types of powder that everyone seems to recommend. So my question is should I purchase 1# of several different brands and see which works best for me or should I just pick one, buy a bulk order and then next order choose a different one? After reading everything it seems like some guns prefer different loads etc. while others disagree and say shoot what you can get the best deal on. Just looking for some advice before I spend money on a large order.

I'll be shooting 9mm and using a lee turret press, just starting to get into uspsa but most of my practice is LEO related. I'm not looking to save money with reloading but more the satisfaction of shooting a round I made. Thanks to anyone who will help this new guy out. 

I would buy a pound of something and make sure I could get a load that shot decently and made PF before buying in bulk. I wouldn't buy a variety out of the gate, chances are if you use something commonly recommended you will be able to make it work well enough for USPSA.

Once I got comfortable with the process and had an established load I could roll and go, then I would probably try, when time allowed, to develop another load or two with different powders. Availability is good currently, but things happen, and being able to buy another product and know what you need to do to make it work can be very beneficial.

With 9mm, you can't go wrong with N320 powder - and I LOVE  WW231 / HP38 powder.

Can't imagine buying a whole lot of either would be a terrible idea.

You might want to see if you can buy small quantities of different powders from Club

Members, and try them out.

When you buy a bulk purchase, not a bad idea to make a group purchase, and save

bunch of money - esp on Hazmat charges.    :) 

If you can, figure out what bullet weights you plan to use, and then look at available load data and see if you can find one of the suitable powders in stock.

If you're just looking to load practice ammo, lots of powders will work.

Unfortunately:roflol: my good friend was the VV technical rep.  At Rio Salado it seemed most folks used VV.

I have had no reason to change from VV320 for 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45ACP.

Consistent, easy to meter, burns clean, and soft. Most people bitch about the price which to me is laughable.  But to each their own.

I never mail order powder or primers, I am lucky enough to have several sources in driving distance. Down side I have learned to work up loads for differant powders. Right now I have 4 pounds of power pistol. I have great accuracy with 5.8gr behind 125gr powder coated lead round nose. With an M&P 4.25 barrel. My next step is to see how 6grs does. Power pistol seems to work best at max book load. I don't shoot competition, just accuracy.