Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a new range bag, maybe a back-pack style

JesseM

Right now my primary range bag is a Midway Competition bag. It's a fine bag but maybe a bit big for what I do. I just became a member at a range where I have to walk down a large set of steps to descent into the pits where we shoot and I was thinking one of the back-pack styles might work well to make carrying the weight a bit easier so I'm leaning towards that style but I can't find one I like that would also do well at a USPSA match... at least not yet.

Any suggestions?

Hello: I am using a Tactical Taylor Mil Spec Monkey pack. It is big enough for all I need for a match or practice. They are made in the USA and is holding up very well. I have been using it for 8 months now and it still looks new. Not super fancy and what I like is how light the pack is on it's own. Some backpacks are heavy when empty. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, Dutchman195 said:

Is the interior of the bag the same as the "full size" version, just smaller and without the seat and box? Pictures leave much to be desired on the website.

Hello: I thought Chuck at Shooters Connection told me a while back he was not going to have them made any longer. I just checked and they come in colors now as well. These are lighter in weight than the CED ones and are a nice design. Shooters Connection also has them in stock right now. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

A few years ago I also got tired of the big square shooting bag.  Bulky heavy and no balance.

Picked up a 511 messenger bag and it lasted thru 3 years of constant use and abuse.

I leave all the extra crap in the car now. The bag still holds a full package of medical supplies, gun, 500 rounds of ammo, mags, mag holders and holster. Plus a million pockets for sun block, towel, energy bars, pens, flashlight, big marker etc.

511 repaired my first bag free when the velcro started weakening and I bought a 2nd bag with no regrets.

Backpacks are a good idea, this is just another option.

https://www.amazon.com/5-11-Tactical-Delivery-Messenger-Black/dp/B004D1R7VC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1491927722&sr=8-4&keywords=511+messenger+bag

What do you mean won't fit in the gun bag? I presume you mean the one that comes with the pack? Just use a bag you normally use for the open gun, I had an open PARA that fitted into the compartment with no issues in a soft sleeve. 

9 hours ago, Broski said:

I am in the same boat as the OP. I really like the GPS tactical bag, but my open gun won't fit in the gun bag. Any suggestions for those of us with open guns?

I have the GPS Handgunner backpack, not the tactical, but I'd think for either you could put your Open gun in whatever size gun rug it'll fit into and then put that into the bag.  I removed the foam thing from my backpack and just use gun rugs.  My 6" Limited gun easily fits in it so I'm sure an Open gun would too. 

I've never seen the Tactical one in person, but from the pictures I chose the Handgunner because it looked like it had more pockets and I like having separate little pockets for all the random junk I have in my range bag instead of throwing everything into one big compartment and then not being able to find anything.  I also like the pockets with mag pouches; however, 170mm mags won't fit into the pouches, they will fit in those pockets if you just put them in loosely and not in the mag pouch slots though.  140mm mags just barely fit the pouches.

I moved from the 5.11 Tactical Range bag to the DAA Medium backpack. I love it. It works out better for smaller local matches and when I bring a cart it has a smaller footprint, which allows me to better use the space in the cart.