Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springer Dovetail mount loose

Timido

I have a Springer Dove Tail mount of my Shadow.   I tightened and blue loctite the itty bitty set screws.   The mounts works good but after about 350 rounds the dovetail came loose.   Anyone have any tricks to keeping this thing tight?  Red loctire?   Thanks for the advise 

i hit the base of the sight with a steel punch hard enough to deform it. on the edge, making a ding in it large enough to make the dovetail mount be held in by friction.

my mount when new could be slid in an out of the dovetail with little finger pressure. no amount of set screw tightening was going to keep that in.

and i also used red loctite on the set screw and in the recess.

the red circle denotes the edge i hit. i put two nicks/dings in it about a third and two thirds across. i'm not a pro, so take it for what it's worth but i bet you could do either edge. i just would rather pound on the sight that is cheap and replaceable than drill or do anything to the slide.

peen.jpg

Edited by rowdyb

I have one of each.  The Springer Shadow mount stays put.  The CZC mount is held in by four screws.  It isn't ever going to move.  I use purple loctite.  It is just a bit weaker than blue.  I guess I've just been lucky.

Just curious, I have the CZC mount for one of my Shadow's and it rides about 1mm or so above the slide, so the only contact is in the dovetail.  Does the Springer or CGW mount (which looks to be the same) do the same thing? 

I have the Springer mount on mine, and it was a nice interference fit.  Has held fine so far.

As Rowdy suggested, peening bottom of dovetail will increase the interference fit.  For loose dovetail sights, I have taken a punch and made a couple of dimples in the middle of the bottom of the dovetail. This will increase the interference fit. If it slides in about 1/3 of the way by hand, but needs to be driven in the rest, it should be good. And use lots of blue loctite. 

Edited by GregJ

I have the Springer mount on mine, and it was a nice interference fit.  Has held fine so far.

As Rowdy suggested, peening bottom of dovetail will increase the interference fit.  For loose dovetail sights, I have taken a punch and made a couple of dimples in the middle of the bottom of the dovetail. This will increase the interference fit. If it slides in about 1/3 of the way by hand, but needs to be driven in the rest, it should be good. And use lots of blue loctite. 

I spoke with Springer precision, and was informed that they designed the mount not to be interference fit. Instead they designed it to be locktited in, and the set screws providing enough tension against the dovetail.

They had informed me that I did not have to use shims, but I wasn't about to reinstall the mount without shims. 1500+ rounds and no issues.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Upper part of the dovetail?

Bottom of dovetail actually. Used the two set screws on the dovetail, added locktite green.

Then added locktite green to the two fore and aft poly tipped screws. 1500+ rounds still holding strong.

1 hour ago, bsand said:

Bottom of dovetail actually. Used the two set screws on the dovetail, added locktite green.

Then added locktite green to the two fore and aft poly tipped screws. 1500+ rounds still holding strong.

Drilled and tapped a third hole in the center of the dovetail at work today  6-32,   Used the 2 pop can shims and used red loctite.   Its tight now.    I am sure my extra screw will help but those shims make all the difference in the world  Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

I mounted the Springer mount to my Shadow 2 along with a Burris FF3.   Interestingly, I can't get the FF3 to zero.  I've maxed out the height adjustment and I'm still hitting about 4-5" low at 30'.  I had a second FF3 on another gun, so I swapped them and I was able to get that one to zero, but the height adjustment is maxed out.

I didn't have this problem with a Vortex Venom mounted to my Shadow Target 2 using the CZC slide racker mount.

So I'm not sure if it's the sights or the Springer Mount.

Thoughts?

clw42, it's the Springer mounts.  They machine the top to be parallel to the bottom of the slide.  They should mill it parallel to the axis of the bore when in battery.  If you loosen the front screw, then torque the rear screw in as far as you can, you can get a FF# to zero, but your range will be withing one or two clicks of max.

A lot of people do the same for their 1911 dovetail mounts.  It is stupid, because everyone uses CNC today.  So just program it in.  Geez!

41 minutes ago, zzt said:

clw42, it's the Springer mounts.  They machine the top to be parallel to the bottom of the slide.  They should mill it parallel to the axis of the bore when in battery.  If you loosen the front screw, then torque the rear screw in as far as you can, you can get a FF# to zero, but your range will be withing one or two clicks of max.

A lot of people do the same for their 1911 dovetail mounts.  It is stupid, because everyone uses CNC today.  So just program it in.  Geez!

Thanks zzt, I tried that already.  Should have ordered the CZC mount again I guess.  I was trying to save a few bucks and people seem to like the Springer mount so I figured why not.  Anyway, I ended up ordering one of these:

http://www.umtactical.com/store/p5/Delrin_Shim_1.0_Degree_for_Vortex_Venom_%26_Viper%2C__Burris_Fastfire_II%2C_III%2C_Docters_and_Sightmark_Optics.html

That should give me what I need.  If not, I'll suck it up and order the CZC mount and sell the Springer.