Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What brands 9mm 124 gr JHP's are you using?

Hi-Power Jack

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I load 9mm major-

I loaded extreme 125g heavy plated for a long time, those are just BAD in my gun's, I could never get them to run accurately, so I switched to the MG 124g JHP until 2011BLDR suggested the MG 125g SIG bullet, the round nose profile seems more conducive to better feeding. I ran those for about a year, but I could never load them as "l o n g" as I would like for 9mm.

In 2016 I switched to the Precision Delta JHP 124g bullets (as everyone else on here has). They are great with regards to reliability and can be loaded out to 1.175 in my KKM barrels without any issues. 

Recently I tried some Everglades V2 bullets (due to Gooldylocks harping about 'em) and they are very accurate in BOTH my open guns, I would say 10~15% more accurate than the Precision Delta's based on groups I shot at 25yards the very first time out. But that may be just my guns, my barrels, my powder my crimp etc etc...Also they are 115g and not the 124g that I normally run, this AT MAJOR may produce better accuracy?

For now I am going to continue with the Everglades, assuming I can continue to get the same price as the PD, and see how they run for me over a few months’ worth of matches, we'll see...

Edited by pitvpr

I load 9mm major-
Also they are 115g and not the 124g that I normally run, this AT MAJOR may produce better accuracy?

For now I am going to continue with the Everglades, assuming I can continue to get the same price as the PD, and see how they run for me over a few months’ worth of matches, we'll see...

If they are 115gr shouldn't they be cheaper than the 124gr???? Not trying to be a wise ass. Maybe I missed something.

PD makes 115gr JHP. Wouldn't the PD 115GR JHP be cheaper than the Everglades 115gr JHP if that were the case? I have 115gr PD JHP, but I haven't compared the prices.

I think as a general rule of thumb, especially in 9MM, the faster you push a bullet, up to a certain extent, the more accuracy you're gonna squeeze out of it. So I'm guessing you're pushing the 115gr bullets much faster than the 124gr bullets to achieve the same PF? I've tried the PD 115gr in my open gun and they are indeed very accurate. I just didn't like the "feeling" of the gun with combination. Personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PD 124’s JHP are $89/k if you buy 2k or more

PD 115’s JHP are $85/k if you buy 2k or more

EA 115’s JHP are $87.25/k if you buy 4k

and Yes, Im assuming the better accuracy may be due to your rule of thumb principle/

Go Everglades. When you order in case quantity they are basically the same price as PD, but a better profile for feeding. They are so rounded they are nearly a full RN profile, so they will feed better at a wider range of lengths.

They are out of stock right now, but here is the link:
http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets/9mm-124gr-jhp-rn-v2.html

These look pretty similar to the "house brand" JHP being sold by tjconevera.com. Anyone tried both and know just how similar they are?

These look pretty similar to the "house brand" JHP being sold by tjconevera.com. Anyone tried both and know just how similar they are?

I have used the 90gr and 95gr TJ's in several 380's. When they first started carrying them, I think the price was something ridiculous like $60/1000??? So I tried them. Can't speak to how they work in 9MM, but they quality was good and they were consistent from bullet to bullet.

Are you shooting Open or Production?  In a production gun we use 124 grain round nose bullets from various company's but in the open guns we use the montana gold 124 hp because it can be loaded a little longer than a round nose and as most know the open guns and mags were designed for 38 super with the 124 hp we are almost the same length and get great feeding out of the hi cap mags.

57K, we appreciate the comparison of the two RMR 124 JHP bullets (subcontracted vs. in-house). I believe that I was about a week ahead of you on my order, and fortunately for me, I received a batch from the subcontractor, which I have really enjoyed shooting in my 9mms, and one of my Redding dies is setup for this bullet. My other dies are setup for the Nosler 124 JHP and the Hornady 124 XTP. Using these three dies allows me to quickly load the bullet that I want to shoot. Be that as it may, I will be interested in your next review/update on the in-house RMR 124 JHP bullet.

57K, indeed the subcontracted (supposedly Montana Gold) is a very accurate bullet, but reaching the superb reputation of the Nosler bullet would be too much to ask for at this price point. That being said, very few shooters can reach the accuracy potential of a Nosler handgun bullet.

357 SIG bullets need a slightly shorter nose than 9mm in most cases. The SIG only has one OAL listed, 1.14, it appears to be a bit on the sensitive side to cartridge length. Most of the SIG specific bullets I've seen have a wider meplat, coupled with a shorter nose. That said, I've loaded XTPs for mine and the dimensions came out okay. More research is necessary for other brands though.

8 hours ago, 57K said:

At 1.122" the contract bullet over 5.8 grs. of Silhouette chrono'd 1148 FPS with an SD of 3 and accurate.

the new bullet, loaded the same way, same primer, velocity was lower at 1109 FPS.

the recovered, 1109 FPS average. Core looks good and the copper petals are near wicked, but the recovered bullet penetrated close to 3 jugs, some of the petals broke off,  .

this bullet reached Max OAL in my service pistol at 1.139". 

Is it strong enough for a comp load in 9mm Major? You'll have to decide.

Thanks for the test results.  

Looks like an inexpensive alternative for defense loads (iff you reload your own defense loads),

but the short OAL makes it iffy for my 9mm Major loads -

I like to load out to 1.16" for feeding

purposes in my STI TruBor.    :) 

I ordered 1k of the RMR 124 JHPs as I started shooting open recently (eyes getting worse). Typically I used PD or MG for minor competition loads. I loaded these under 7.0g of AutoComp at 1.168. Shooting them through and STI GrandMaster they are very accurate and feed good. They gave me a discount code due to a little snafu shipping  - really no big deal so I ordered another 3,000 and will load them under HS-6 8.3g. I'll post back but I am happy with the bullet and performance. My defense load I use hornady or just buy factory and could not really care about the RMR defense load capability.

18 hours ago, 57K said:

Since the contract bullet has a copper jacket, it will be interesting to see what MG does if they do indeed make this bullet. If they market it themselves at a lower price than the brass jacketed bullets that will be good for us. It's very accurate and I lowered velocity to 1148 FPS in hopes of keeping core and jacket together.

Just as an FYI, no jacketed bullet that I know of uses a true copper jacket.  Technically speaking, all jackets will fall within the rang of brasses, usually somewhere between 10% and 30% Zn (usually referred to as 220,226,240, or 260 alloys).

The higher the Zn content, the harder and less expensive the material. The higher Zn content jackets will also have more of the "gold" color.  For instance, MGs are a 260 alloy I believe (30%Zn 70%Cu), where as PDs are 220 (10%Zn 90%Cu), and 226 (13%Zn 87%Cu). 

On 4/10/2017 at 4:42 PM, Ssanders224 said:

This is why I didn't comment on velocity. 

There are so many factors at play (barrels, rifling, bore size, etc) that I cannot say that PD bullets will be "faster" across the board. 

Due to the smaller percentage of Zn, the jacket material is softer, but that does not necessarily directly correlate into faster velocities. 

True, but "in the same barrel test"  PD are faster than MG because PD seal better. Anytime gas can escape around the bullet, FPS falls off.  I have no affiliation with PD.  Just a long time Open shooter who has tested a lot bullets and powders.

16 minutes ago, lcs said:

True, but "in the same barrel test"  PD are faster than MG because PD seal better. Anytime gas can escape around the bullet, FPS falls off.  I have no affiliation with PD.  Just a long time Open shooter who has tested a lot bullets and powders.

Yep, I don't disagree with that.

I just usually don't say that "PDs are faster than X brand" because it get misconstrued so often.  

6 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

MGs are a 260 alloy I believe (30%Zn 70%Cu), where as PDs are 220 (10%Zn 90%Cu), and 226 (13%Zn 87%Cu). 

Sounds like the 220's should also be more accurate than a 260?

Which PD is 220 and which PD is 226?

4 hours ago, 57K said:

Okay, LOL! I did not say it was true or pure copper, so in the future just assume that I am generalizing. Guess I should have said predominantly copper gilding metal. It's kinda like the old saying, "possession is 9/10ths of the law." And looking at PDs 220 alloy, it seems apt with it being 90% copper.

That's not to say I'm not interested in the specific effects of the different gilding metals used for bullet jackets. Which one has the lower coefficient of friction in the bore, for example?

There's a lot of misinformation that floats around the competitive shooting community.  Sometimes things need clearing up.

Eh, If that's the case, then why worry about alloy % anyway?  10%, 20%... it's all pretty close huh?? ;)

On 5/3/2017 at 9:35 AM, Ssanders224 said:

Just as an FYI, no jacketed bullet that I know of uses a true copper jacket.  Technically speaking, all jackets will fall within the rang of brasses, usually somewhere between 10% and 30% Zn (usually referred to as 220,226,240, or 260 alloys).

The higher the Zn content, the harder and less expensive the material. The higher Zn content jackets will also have more of the "gold" color.  For instance, MGs are a 260 alloy I believe (30%Zn 70%Cu), where as PDs are 220 (10%Zn 90%Cu), and 226 (13%Zn 87%Cu). 

What an interesting post...  Never thought to question the percentages of zinc and copper in different jhp bullets...  Now that you brought it up, it does seem like something that could make quite a difference...

Edited by RaylanGivens

Jack,
If you happen to make it to the match here in Orlando on the 3rd Sunday, I am more happy to let you shoot my ammo I have enough for you to shoot a whole match with. 124gr PD JHP with 7.3gr WAC 1.175"
PD is good enough! Heck I won B at Hurricane National last year with it!!

That's a Very Kind Offer, b18.     :bow:

Unfortunately, I won't be there.

Why do you load so long?    I tried 1.175" when I started out ten years ago, and

had problems with bullet/case tension.  With WAC, you have plenty of room to

load down as low as 1.145", and I've standardized at 1.16".

BTW, congrats on taking B class at Hurricane Nat'l    :bow:

I am seriously thinking of buying a batch of PD's, though.

Again, thank you - hope to meet you one day ...

Jack