Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags not dropping free in 40c when using 9mm conversion

narwhal

Hi,

a quick question:

I have an M&P 40 compact that I like to shoot in IDPA CCP.  .40 minor was getting a bit expensive so I bought a 9mm conversion barrel and some 9mm compact magazines.

To my disappointment, I find that 9mm magazines only drop free from slide lock about half the time in this gun.  What's happening is, the notch on the slide stop that gets lifted up by the magazine follower isn't always getting completely lifted up after the last round, instead the follower is slipping past it, creating a situation where the follower is wedged against the slide stop, which results in enough friction to prevent a clean drop.

Is there any workaround?  All 5 of my 9mm compact magazaines do it, but not all the time.  For some reason it runs flawlessly w/ .40 mags and with .40 in general.  For some reason full sized 9mm magazines do drop free, but they're too big to use in competition.

Got the new followers from brownells today and they seemed to have solved the problem.

The geometry of that lip on the front-top-left of the new ones is significantly different - it seems to extend much less high, so it seems like it has a lot less chance of sliding past the slide stop.  Thanks for the tip.

followers.jpg