Tuning recoil spring?

biglou13

Directions say tune for 6-8 foot ejection

today I tried 11, 12, 13, recoil sprigs . From cajun

all casings were ejecting from 10-12 feet

im shooting an sp01 tactical.  With Cajun pro package parts

please advise

Edited by biglou13

recoil spring is only one factor.  The other big one is ammo.  What kind of ammo / PF are you using?  Were you shooting on grass or cement?  

When i tried the cajun recoil springs with SP01 shadow, with 132PF handloads, in grass, i could get the brass to throw 10 feet or dribble out.  Ended up just sticking with factory spring.

havent chronoed latest load/bullet yet.  im on the low end of book load.  i was shooting on grass but i had a spotter and they all were hitting 10-12 feet.

i was just experimenting with the different springs i have.   trying to tune to the directions,  and to figure out what is going on technically, i thought i would see different results with the different springs

my grip and form is so much improved so  that i cant or see any difference on the follow up shots  with any of the springs

i would have to use timer over a large sample size to get any real data.  

Edited by biglou13

My Cajunized SP-01 Tactical spits out brass that far with factory ammo. It is just two feet shorter with my handloaded ammo, PF 130.

I'm not too concern where the brass lands, as long as I can manage recoil effectively and my follow-up shots are fast and accurate.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, uewpew said:

recoil spring is only one factor.  The other big one is ammo.  What kind of ammo / PF are you using?  Were you shooting on grass or cement?  

An even bigger one is grip. When you train yourself to really really grip the gun hard as heck then you can go a full recoil spring weight or two lower - if desired - without losing any reliability.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I use and 11lb recoil spring and 8.5 lb hammer spring and my shadow ejects 6ft with my loads. Never shot factory through it. I'd assume it would be a little further with factory. I'm not concerned where the brass lands as long as the gun is tracking up and down and my sights get back on target quickly. 

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

An even bigger one is grip. When you train yourself to really really grip the gun hard as heck then you can go a full recoil spring weight or two lower - if desired - without losing any reliability.

i'm a huge proponent for strong grip,  and even train regularly  for stronger grip.... i'm pretty sure my grip strength is well above average

Dave @ cajun gun works says tune for 6-8 feet which is what i was trying to do.

has anyone else tested /tuned  with different weight recoil springs?  what were your results?

i'm not knocking following the internet trend for 11# spring it's what i usually run

In on this one. I just converted my SP-01 to SAO yesterday. I shot it today for the first time. It fired and functioned just fine with my 3 gun loads. 147 grain Acme FP  over 3.0 gr of Titegroup. IIRC they chronoed around 125 PF. It did have some dip though. I think I need to try a lighter spring. 

I just installed the 10lb white spring from Cajun. I'm shooting 133pf bullets. The thing I noticed over the previous 11lb was the sights are tracking back faster and more to the origin than with the 11lb. Maybe that's placebo effect, but i'm going to test it blind (not knowing which spring is in there) and see if the results are the same as I think they are.

I have 10# (white) springs in my Shadow and SP01 Shadow, both with 147 gr bullets at 130 PF with Titegroup.  Both return faster to POA than with 11# springs, which caused muzzle dip and slower doubles.  No sign of frame pounding.

11 minutes ago, teros135 said:

I have 10# (white) springs in my Shadow and SP01 Shadow, both with 147 gr bullets at 130 PF with Titegroup.  Both return faster to POA than with 11# springs, which caused muzzle dip and slower doubles.  No sign of frame pounding.

That's nice to read. I was hoping my results was being repeated with others.

I've never heard a coherent rationale about why a certain ejection distance from the gun is the prime criterion for recoil spring selection.  It might be a "rule of thumb" sort of thing, or "conventional wisdom" passed on from one person to another, but how does ejection distance control either proper or efficient functioning, gun life, or (for that matter) safety?

dave @ cajun   said so.....

that is good enough for me to try to tune to that standard....

but re reading  see link  item #3  i'm satisfied the way may my muzzle returns to target...

On 4/11/2017 at 1:14 PM, robertwyatt said:

Maybe that's placebo effect, but i'm going to test it blind (not knowing which spring is in there) and see if the results are the same as I think they are.

Smart.

Would be interesting to have 3, two of the same weight, and compare results.

• 2 months later...

So it seems like the conventional wisdom for a jumping off point with a Shadow is to start with 13# hammer/main spring & 11# recoil (judging on what comes from CZC), but it seems that his is truly just a starting point.  Every tabletop smith seems to be going lighter when pros like Matt Hopkins are using 14# springs...there really doesn't seem to be any one size fits all even though most of us Shadow users are using similar loads/springs/parts.