Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do I feel my mainspring housing moving under dryfire?

MAC702

So I did a complete teardown and rebuild of my Springfield Armory Range Officer 9mm.  This time I moved the Dawson housing/magwell to the Kimber .45 (steel frame) that I'm using for SS, and I put in a different steel housing that has a much smaller carry-style magwell.  I put the sear spring back in carefully, and everything works.  BUT, under dryfire I feel the mainspring housing moving slightly, like a little snap from the sear spring moving underneath it.  It appears to be pivoting on its pin, and moving very slightly inside its rails that it slides up into; just enough for it to transmit the snap feel to my hand.  Is this an issue?  I don't remember it doing this when it was on my other Kimber (aluminum frame) .45.  I doubt I'd feel it under recoil, but it sure is a weird feeling when dryfiring.

Well, yes, sir, but I'm feeling it very pronounced in this instance.  I've been shooting 1911s for 40 years, and this is markedly a different feeling, as previously there was none perceptible.  Been playing with it a bit now, and I can wiggle the mainspring housing with my fingers.  Again, hardly moving it much at all, but my other installations and guns it doesn't move at all, but it only takes a tiny bit to transmit the "slap" against my palm.  Is it nothing to be concerned about, and the movement is within specs, and I won't feel it under recoil anyway?  It's actually a little distracting when dry-firing now.

Take it out and lay it on it's side and hit the little rib with a hammer, then do the other side same way.  Expanding the rib slightly on both sides will remove some of the play between it and the frame.

Good thought about the lock, Gary, but that has been eliminated with this different mainspring housing.  I guess this is just a little bit loose of a housing.  I don't think it can hurt anything, and I'll probably get around to putting another Dawson ICE in it anyway before it drives me too crazy.  I just wanted to make sure.

Steve, now there's an idea.  It shouldn't be hard at all to move a little metal around in that slot to take out what little play there is.

Edited by MAC702

Use a spring loaded punch to place a couple diples in each rail of the mainspring housing then re-fit.  This should move a small amount of metal around . Should tighten right up and is easily tuned with a file later if needed.