Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to red dot. Help please

So I just picked up a vortex venom dot for my g19 MOS. I'm wondering what the best way to properly learn how to use it is? 

I know it will be a learning curve but I'm sure some advice will speed up the process. 

Is there a proper way to start the process of learning to pick up the sight?

thx

caleb

Edited by calebj06

I'm Shooting a venom for steel and plates.  Follow HPJ's advice or you will spend a lot of time "fishing" for the dot during a match.  You can't even imagine how slow that is.  With open sights, even a bad sight picture is reasonably close, with a dot, you can see it on the target or not at all. 

Set your grip on the gun then look at your dryfire target, raise the gun to the target.  Slowly move the gun until you place the dot on the target.  Remember that feel.  Drop your arms down and raise them to the target.  Rinse and repeat as often as you can.  Once you can look at the target and raise the gun with the dot where you expect it to be, start again with the gun in the holster.  Do that every day for as long as you can.  Don't stop doing it.  Stop for a week and you will loose much of what you gained.  You will see, everyone does :-)  

On 4/8/2017 at 5:33 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

LOTS of practice - dry firing.    :)

Burn up a few batteries, and just Do It ....

Find an index of some sort - I use the battery button

as a rough idea where the dot will be - takes a while ...

Good luck with it.    :bow:

Can you clarify your index comment a little for me?  

I mounted the dot tonight. I really like it.  Didn't seem to have much of an issue picking up the dot but yeah, it wasn't as fast as irons yet for sure. 

4 hours ago, Stealsack said:

I'm Shooting a venom for steel and plates.  Follow HPJ's advice or you will spend a lot of time "fishing" for the dot during a match.  You can't even imagine how slow that is.  With open sights, even a bad sight picture is reasonably close, with a dot, you can see it on the target or not at all. 

Set your grip on the gun then look at your dryfire target, raise the gun to the target.  Slowly move the gun until you place the dot on the target.  Remember that feel.  Drop your arms down and raise them to the target.  Rinse and repeat as often as you can.  Once you can look at the target and raise the gun with the dot where you expect it to be, start again with the gun in the holster.  Do that every day for as long as you can.  Don't stop doing it.  Stop for a week and you will loose much of what you gained.  You will see, everyone does :-)  

Oh and once you learn it...

Then you get to learn it strong hand only. And weak hand only. And in hard leans around walls. ;) 

35 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Oh and once you learn it...

Then you get to learn it strong hand only. And weak hand only. And in hard leans around walls. ;) 

You make it sound like such fun!!

MM is quite right!  On the upside, once you get dialed in, it is quick!  You really only need to see red intersect your aim point and with good grip you won't miss.

Then you will get going so fast that you shoot as the dot crosses your point of aim and will have to learn to slow down again, but that will be a few matches down the road.  It is awesome for us with older eyes.