Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer and firing pin spring - Do you replace them together

I use Xtreme light hammer spring and FP springs.  I replace them (together with recoil spring) every 10k rounds.  

However, as I have been doing this routine a couple times in the past, I noticed that although the used hammer and recoil springs are noticeably shorter than the new one, the used FP springs are just as long as new ones.  That leads me to think maybe this routine is a waste of money because the FP springs can probably last much longer. 

Do you all replace FP springs together with hammer springs?  From my very limited knowledge, there can be timing issues when some of the springs are too strong while the others are too weak, e.g. extremely strong recoil spring + very weak FP spring.  What potential problems would there be if I keep the FP springs for 40k or 50k rounds while only replacing hammer + recoil springs every 10k?   

I've never replaced a FP spring. Not sure why you ever would, unless you're carrying the gun hammer down and afraid of an AD. My FP springs are cut way, way down and basically serve to keep the FP out of the breech face and presented to the hammer. 

You really shouldn't have any issues leaving the FPS alone, I check my hammer and recoil springs against new regularly and replace as deemed necessary.. Patriot Defense springs are also the way to go if you haven't switched over already.

Out of curiosity, what hammer spring are you running? 

Before converting to PD parts, I too ran EG light FP springs cut down to 5 coils past the tip. With a wolff 14# hammer spring with 1 3/4coil cut. It worked great. Up until the time the FP spring allowed the FP to stick forward at UASC. Then the keeper fell out and I had to go home. Then there was the time it stuck and on the next load, I snapped the FP in half. In total I lost 3 FP keepers and broke one pin. 

Since using PD firing pin return spring, it just runs. And it runs the same with a PD 10, 12, 13, 14, 15.5, wolff 13,14, 15,16, 17 and EG medium. None stick the pin forward on empty chamber sa firing.

11 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I've never replaced a FP spring. Not sure why you ever would, unless you're carrying the gun hammer down and afraid of an AD. My FP springs are cut way, way down and basically serve to keep the FP out of the breech face and presented to the hammer. 

To Johnbu:  I use exclusively Xtreme springs, Xtreme extended FPB and spring.  Light hammer, light FP, and the FPB spring, no coil cutting on any of them.   Never had any problems with them.  So I just keep using them.  I did purchase a bunch PD springs, but have not tried them yet because the Xtreme ones just work.  I tend to avoid fixing things that still work.

To emjei:  I don't get why Woff pair them in the packaging either.  If I have to guess, I would think the FPB spring, not the recoil spring, might have more impact on timing issues with the FP spring. 

On 4/9/2017 at 10:28 AM, johnbu said:

Out of curiosity, what hammer spring are you running? 

Before converting to PD parts, I too ran EG light FP springs cut down to 5 coils past the tip. With a wolff 14# hammer spring with 1 3/4coil cut. It worked great. Up until the time the FP spring allowed the FP to stick forward at UASC. Then the keeper fell out and I had to go home. Then there was the time it stuck and on the next load, I snapped the FP in half. In total I lost 3 FP keepers and broke one pin. 

Since using PD firing pin return spring, it just runs. And it runs the same with a PD 10, 12, 13, 14, 15.5, wolff 13,14, 15,16, 17 and EG medium. None stick the pin forward on empty chamber sa firing.

If you're asking me, I use Eric light and am trying the Patriot 13lb. I've never had a FP stuck in the breech face or retainer fall out because I use the Extreme FP.

The Henning pins can get stuck.

25 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

If you're asking me, I use Eric light and am trying the Patriot 13lb. I've never had a FP stuck in the breech face or retainer fall out because I use the Extreme FP.

Every tanfoglio pin out on the market has the ability to get stuck in the breach face. Its how you have your FP spring "Tuned or "clipped" which dictates if that's going to happen to you or not. If your cutting coils your increasing your chance of this happening. This isn't a sales pitch at all even though it may come off as one, but our FP spring has a "mechanical" stop built into it. Meaning that its designed to allow allow "X" amount of travel before it bottoms out on its self no longer allowing travel of the FP. Basically its designed to work from the lightest hammer springs impacting your FP to the heavy hitters and still maintain the ability to control your FP. 

Every tanfoglio pin out on the market has the ability to get stuck in the breach face. Its how you have your FP spring "Tuned or "clipped" which dictates if that's going to happen to you or not. If your cutting coils your increasing your chance of this happening. This isn't a sales pitch at all even though it may come off as one, but our FP spring has a "mechanical" stop built into it. Meaning that its designed to allow allow "X" amount of travel before it bottoms out on its self no longer allowing travel of the FP. Basically its designed to work from the lightest hammer springs impacting your FP to the heavy hitters and still maintain the ability to control your FP. 

And this is why I have PD everything in my tanfo.. because #awesomeness

2 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Guess i was just "lucky" .  Not the good luck either! But pushing things until they fail... my speciality.

There isn't one. You're looking for something that isn't there.

This isn't like a Glock where a light recoil spring and heavy striker spring can result in issues staying in battery.

I kinda of know that MemphisMechanic. ...... but maybe someone else has a theory why Wolff put a FP Spring and a Recoil Spring together in the same bag..... there has to be a reason more than "we have tons of springs we want to give away"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

They (apparently) assume a user with a heavy recoil spring will use a heavy hammer spring. But why they don't pair hammer and FPR.... dunno!

John gets my point .....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk