Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

25 cent addition to the 25 cent trigger job

Wheeljack

Well I did the 25 cent job, twice. Better but still that rubbing at the end of trigger pull. Looking around I found a site that sells the trigger parts and they mentioned that they polish the springs! I had always suspected that the rubbing feeling was possibly due to the firing pin rubbing on the spacer sleeve. I pulled the firing pin assembly out of the slide and took it apart. Very fine sand paper... sanded the firing pin, sanded inside the spacer sleeve and then sanded the spring, inside and out. Rolled the sand paper around a tooth pic to do inside of the spring. I was not trying to remove or thin the spring, just polish.  Next lubed. I had some Teflon spray so I used that as it drys to a powder like coating. I haven't been to the range to do a true test, but, I think it does feel better. Has anyone done this to their firing pin assembly?

The only part of the firing pin I have polished is the tip where it meets the cruciform.  The more combinations of springs and components I tried the more frustrated I became.  I now use all stock springs and "dot" connectors.  The key I found with Glock polishing jobs is the last step...a box of live ammunition (dry-fire doesn't replicate it).  They never felt quite right on my work bench until I actually shot it a few times.  And you don't want to use any lube, of any type, on the striker assembly, keep it clean and dry.

1 hour ago, mlmiller1 said:

I always use a felt tip on my dremel with simichrome & polish entire firing pin.  Not removimg metal(except microscopic burrs), just polishing.  

That sounds good, buy why not polish the spring too?  Possibly do the inside of the spring with a Q-tip and the spacer sleeve too. 

On 4/9/2017 at 9:57 AM, Wheeljack said:

That sounds good, buy why not polish the spring too?  Possibly do the inside of the spring with a Q-tip and the spacer sleeve too. 

Chuck a Q-tip into a cordless drill and run it down the inside of a spring after dipping it in your polish of choice. That's the easiest way I've found to polish a coil spring.

Similarly, for the outside, lightly chuck the spring into the drill and spin it inside of a rag while wet with compound.

I don't think polishing springs makes any difference in a Glock, however it does help slightly with the hammer spring on a conventional double-action firearm.

Edited by MemphisMechanic