Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New limited shooter questions

So now that I've been convinced to try shooting at limited (h/t to Hi Power Jack), I'm trying to decide on a gun.

I've shot a Ppq, Vp9, g19, and I'm shooting an M&P tomorrow. The new tp9sfx intrigues me for cost and features, but I've only handled (not shot) the tp9v2. I liked it. I handled a xdm and it really didn't feel good in my hand (couldn't easily reach the mag release). I like shooting the g19, but the mad release was a real pain to actuate. The vp9 was really nice to shoot, but I'm uncertain about that trigger guard mag release.

I can get a blue label discount, so I'm a bit torn. Seems like g34 ($507) + extended mag release (25) + fo sights (100) + trigger connector/kit (18-150) is going to end up around 650-775, with a fair amount of time put into modding the gun. The ppq q5 is gonna be 750-800. So, when I look at the Canik, 550 looks pretty darn good.

Does anyone want to argue for or against going the untested cheapy route?

My other question was minor vs major--if I'm buying off the shelf ammo, how do I calculate whether I'm in minor or major territory--but I'll search the forums for that answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot a few matches before you start looking at buying a new gun.  You need at least a .40 or larger caliber to make Major PF in Limited.

Most of the guns you mentioned would be better suited for Production division, if you want to be competitive.

Edited by TennJeep1618

Thanks for the clarification on power factor.

Any reason I couldn't shoot them in limited or production (with the exception of the canik, which isn't on the list, I don't think)? I guess I'd have to be careful on Glock mods, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on your goals.  If you just want to have fun, shoot whatever gun and power factor you want (you can shoot minor PF in limited).  If your goals are to compete at the highest level, then going the "cheap route" will make competing more difficult.

1 hour ago, TennJeep1618 said:

Shoot a few matches before you start looking at buying a new gun.

Excellent advice - never go out and spend 500+ without any experience.

BTW, add up what you're going to spend over the next three years for

ammo, gun, reloading equip and Travel - you'll soon realize that a $500

gun is such a small part of the total equation that you might as well bite

the bullet (pun intended) and spend $1,000 for the gun.    :)