Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets in carbines

Wondering if mine was bullet strike on the compensator. Few were pretty fast during load testing. My buildup was only on the bottom of the compensator ports.

Got it all cleaned up and will see now that I have a load chosen for the Blue Bullets. Ended up with WSF powder over TiteGroup and Universal.

I ran 40 Blue Bullets 125 gr RN over 3.5 gr N-320 yesterday. Shot good and no leading or blue stuff in the barrel or the comp.

Maybe if I run a bunch more something will happen, but so far so good.

I did not have the chronograph with me but the dot seems to move a bit more than my 147 gr 132 PF loads but its still manageable.  Hard to explain but it definitely feels different. 

Bill

Been running a 9mm AR for about 3 years. 3 different barrels, 95% BBI bullets- 147gr and 125gr. Powders used have been 90% N320 and 10%WSF. About 10Krds, split between the barrels-about 70% through an Adco, 20% through a Colt, 10% through a JP. No leading in the barrels, but build up in the comps.  If my Production guns taught me anything it was to use cold powders with coated bullets. Titegroup is hot and hard on coatings. N320 and WSF, not so much. I also did some searching on here and found that a quick spray of Dillon case lube and second best One Shot helps prevent junk from taking a foot-hold in comps. Just hit the comp/brake with the lube before a match or practice session and again after. 

I'm planning on getting the PCC out this weekend and hitting the chrono, curious what barrels everyone is running also. Maybe that could have a small contribution to any leading??

I'm running a ballistic advantage 7.5" barrel

3 hours ago, Patrick Scott said:

Right now I am running a JP barrel that appears to be on the tight side. the bullets are swaged, they all grew in length. Bore is still clean after 600 rounds and I stay on top of comp cleaning. 

What diameter do those fired bullets measure?

45 minutes ago, bwframe said:

What diameter do those fired bullets measure?

Ill have to see if I still have them to give you that answer but I can tell you that I did check them for length. There were a mix of BBI 147s and 125s
147s, 5 bullet average: unfired=.649" fired .658" 
125s, 5 bullet average: unfired=.610" fired .617"