Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated bullets in carbines

I know people running them in open guns with no leading issues and these are traveling at around 1400 fps. Are you sure your not shaving off the coating when you are seating the bullet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello: All I am using are the Acme 147 grain bullets in my PCC's. Three different barrels JP, Wilson Arms and a KAW Valley. No leading or residue in any of the barrels. The Wilson Arms barrel looks super clean after I cleaned it today after 500 rounds. My comp does get some buildup but the barrel stays clean. Could you be over crimping them? Mine are only going 920fps with Tite Group powder. Thanks, Eric

Been using primarily coated and even some cast lead....no barrel leading issues in my KV 16 inch barrel.    Every once in a while I'll run some winchester white box just to clean things out, mainly it blows the build up in the comp out!  ;)

2 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Is it lead or is it coating in the compensator?

I have a case of 125 gr Blues to shoot up.  But not in my PCC if its a hassle to clean.

Mine is definitely lead. It takes an end mill to remove it. Nice shiny lead chips.

With 125Gr SNS with Titgroup I had extreme leading in the barrel and comp of my 16in carbine.  With my pistol the barrel was just dirty but you can see from the pic I had leading on the end of barrel and threads.  Plus the inside of the Kaw Valley linear comp was coated in lead.   I believe running a hot powder like Titegroup in the longer barrels of the Scorpion pistol and carbine result in more leading compared to my SP-01 Tactical.  I get a very small amount of leading in the grooves of my SP-01 after 10k+ rounds.

Photo Feb 01, 9 31 50 PM.jpg

Edited by brisix

I think the crud that cakes in the comp is lead and carbon fouling, thus the black color. It chips out without much effort once built up a bit. I just use a small screwdriver and soft mallet to tap it loose.

I get it with Bayou, BBI, ACME, cheap powder coated, moly coated, etc.

18 hours ago, wgj3 said:

I think the crud that cakes in the comp is lead and carbon fouling, thus the black color. It chips out without much effort once built up a bit. I just use a small screwdriver and soft mallet to tap it loose.

I get it with Bayou, BBI, ACME, cheap powder coated, moly coated, etc.

Good to know.  

I just installed a cheap Miculek style comp so the timer could hear my PCC a bit better. (Two matches and no re-shoots.  Success}.  My practice range has lots of "cowboy action" steel to play with but does not allow plated or jacketed bullets to be used on it.  

My Blue Bullets load has been approved for use.

Bill