Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Robert Wyatt #nozerodays

robertwyatt

I've been writing notes down in a book for a while, but figured this was the best since it's more interactive than anything else. I've been shooting since 2013. Started in IDPA and am gradually making USPSA my dominant game. At the beginning of the year I squeaked into A-class with a 75.4% At that point, I decided to really focus and see where I could go if I practiced. I determined to work every day (nozerodays) to getting better. I've slowly been seeing positive results.

I shot Area 1 in St. George this year and knew going into it speed was my problem. So coming out, i'm really dedicated to getting more points faster.

Let's see how far this idea takes me.

Good luck with it.

I found out a few years ago, in a Zombie match, that I can shoot accurately and faster than I though

I could  :) 

Just trying to "control" too much - gave up too much speed for "controlled accuracy".

Let'er rip  :) 

I picked up Stoeger's Dry Fire Reloaded book. In the back it had some sample dry fire schedules. One of them was just for someone like me. Accurate but slow. I'm going to use this program for a while and see how it works for my training.

I'm making up a few tuxedo targets for my live fire tomorrow afternoon. My first session is going to be working on a drill of seeing what I need to see and then getting off the target to the next one. So it will be a tuxedo next to an open about 12" away. My idea is to shoot these two targets at different distances (7,10,15,20) too determine how little of a sight picture I can get away with and still have good hits. Right now i'm shooting the same exact splits on the tuxedo as the open.

Notes from last night's practice. Due to the rain making the bay a mud pit, I ended up setting up targets at 15 yards and trying to drive down my times shooting them. My first run was 4.3 seconds for an open,partial,open target and my 2nd run which was just about speed was 2.7 seconds.

My goal was to try and get my 4.3 closer to the 2.7 second run with alpha hits. I shot through about 250 rounds and got my time down to 3.4 seconds pretty repeatably with alpha hits on everything. Going faster I noticed I wasn't allowing enough time to get the sights into the A-zone which caused me to start throwing charlies and in a couple runs deltas. The big thing I learned from doing all this was my splits on the open were the same as the partial. I spent the remaining evening working on shooting the open faster and then giving the partial a touch more time. Last, I really noticed how I was getting off the partial as soon as the 2nd shot was fired. Before, I would fire the shot and basically wait for a bit to finally move over to the last target.

Tonight's dryfire: Page 46 Dryfire Reloaded. 4 Aces. Goal time is 1.8 seconds. My best repeatable 2.4.

One thing I noticed toward the end of practice is on the beep when I move my strong hand independently, (basically alone) with my support hand following up to catch it as opposed to moving them together, I am getting much better and faster times. I'm not really sure what's going on there but it's worth messing around with.