Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady 115 HAP Load

BaggerJoe

Pretty happy with this load. I shot the pictured group today at 25 yards from the prone position. Details below.

The Load

Hornady 115 HAP bullet (355)

4.8 gr HP-38

Winchester SPP

Federal case

OAL- 1.12

10 shot average over chrono - 1252 

The Pistol

Caspian 1911 

Kart barrel with 4 port cone Compensator

Ultra Dot Ultradot6 set at 2 moa.

This pistol was built for NRA Action Pistol (Bianchi) shooting. 

Didn't have time to shoot from 50 yards today. Have a match tomorrow and was just sighting it in. I like practicing on the 1.25 inch dot targets. Makes the 4" dot on the AP target look like a basketball! 

25 yrd group.jpg

Joe, HP38/231 is a fine powder, but I have had EXCELLENT success using Titegroup in the 3.9gr range with the 115 HAP.  That load was actually what I used to fire my smallest 6-shot group at 50yds with iron sights, at around .8".  Out of curiosity, what settled you on that load?  It's about 200FPS faster than needed to make Minor.  Sometimes in a slower twist you've got to drive them faster to get the accuracy, but a standard 16-twist Kart should shoot them excellently at around 1100fps if it'll cycle with the comp.  One note that I found with HAP's that isn't nearly as finicky with the comparable Zero, is that seating depth can make a tremendous difference in accuracy.  The HAP has a very sharp and pronounced ogive and yields best accuracy up near the lands in my testing.  The Zero has a little more wiggle room with a gentler ogive.  My testing yielded a 50% reduction in average group size in an already good shooting load, just by testing lengths.  Of course, it'll be throat dependent.

1 hour ago, RippinSVT said:

Joe, HP38/231 is a fine powder, but I have had EXCELLENT success using Titegroup in the 3.9gr range with the 115 HAP.  That load was actually what I used to fire my smallest 6-shot group at 50yds with iron sights, at around .8".  Out of curiosity, what settled you on that load?  It's about 200FPS faster than needed to make Minor.  Sometimes in a slower twist you've got to drive them faster to get the accuracy, but a standard 16-twist Kart should shoot them excellently at around 1100fps if it'll cycle with the comp.  One note that I found with HAP's that isn't nearly as finicky with the comparable Zero, is that seating depth can make a tremendous difference in accuracy.  The HAP has a very sharp and pronounced ogive and yields best accuracy up near the lands in my testing.  The Zero has a little more wiggle room with a gentler ogive.  My testing yielded a 50% reduction in average group size in an already good shooting load, just by testing lengths.  Of course, it'll be throat dependent.

I've got a couple pounds of Titegroup but haven't tried it much due to it being such a fast burning powder. I've always heard you need something slower to make the comp work. The short (and lazy) answer as to why I use that load is because it's what the guy I bought the gun from used and he's a trusted shooter and friend and he had some success with it. The gun was built for him. He used the Zero bullets and they have been nonexistent for a while now. I tried the Precision Delta, which looks a lot like the Zero/HAPs, and then got a deal on some HAPs so I gave them a try and like them. To add another layer to this story, I shot an open revolver in AP for a long time. This will be the first year I've taken a semiauto to Bianchi. The speed may be a little high but I've found that I don't need to make any adjustment from 25 to 50 yards. Also, the PF floor for AP is 120 and I know I'm well above that. Thanks for the input on OAL. May have experiment with that after Bianchi. Right now I've got about 2500 of these loaded up and will roll with them.