Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thought it was the MPX, turns out it was just me...

I had between 500 and a 1000 rounds through my Gen2 MPX when it stopped firing.  I inspected the firing pin and found that I couldn't get it to extend past the bolt face.  I took pictures and sent them to Sig thinking it had broken.  They were great to deal with and sent me an updated bolt carrier and a new firing pin in less than a week, no questions asked.

But I couldn't get the new firing pin past the bolt face either!

After some fumbling around, I discovered that my Titegroup load had gummed up the bolt.  The firing pin has an angled neck before the tip, and that neck had packed the buildup good and tight -- so tight that it felt like metal-to-metal contact pushing the pin through by hand.  

After scraping it out, the gun is as good as new with the original parts.

I guess I should be embarrassed about my poor gun maintenance habits, but mostly I'm just thankful for Sig's customer service.  Not only did they take care of a problem that wasn't theirs, they taught me a valuable lesson about the importance of cleaning my junk.

Now I feel like I should send them some money for the parts...

By the way, I love this gun!  

3 minutes ago, trevoro said:

I had between 500 and a 1000 rounds through my Gen2 MPX when it stopped firing.  I inspected the firing pin and found that I couldn't get it to extend past the bolt face.  I took pictures and sent them to Sig thinking it had broken.  They were great to deal with and sent me an updated bolt carrier and a new firing pin in less than a week, no questions asked.

But I couldn't get the new firing pin past the bolt face either!

After some fumbling around, I discovered that my Titegroup load had gummed up the bolt.  The firing pin has an angled neck before the tip, and that neck had packed the buildup good and tight -- so tight that it felt like metal-to-metal contact pushing the pin through by hand.  

After scraping it out, the gun is as good as new with the original parts.

I guess I should be embarrassed about my poor gun maintenance habits, but mostly I'm just thankful for Sig's customer service.  Not only did they take care of a problem that wasn't theirs, they taught me a valuable lesson about the importance of cleaning my junk.

Now I feel like I should send them some money for the parts...

By the way, I love this gun!  

I had what seems to be a very similar problem with my JR carbine. Firing pin fouled in the bolt. 

17 hours ago, NinerRider said:

It blows me away how much gunk is in every crevice of my mpx after 800-900 rounds. Maybe it's my reloads but it gets dirty so fast. 

Hello: That is one of the reasons I went with the AR 9mm platform. They are pretty easy to clean and I hate cleaning. They clean up fast like a pistol and don't have any ports to clog up. Yes they get dirty pretty quick even with some very clean burning powders. Just the nature of the beast. Thanks, Eric