Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CFE Pistol for 40 major

sstephns

Anyone else using this powder? It seems a bit dirty, but I like it pretty well other than that. Meters well, impulse isn't sharp.

My major load is below their recommended minimum. 5.5gr of CFE Pistol, 180gr Blue Bullets, 1.175" OAL out of a CK Thunder Limited. Made 955fps at SC State Chrono. 5.9 for plated bullets at about the same speed

Edited by sstephns

I used it for most of a season a couple years ago when powder was so scarce. Turned out for a 40 load I was using it had nearly identical performance by chrono and accuracy to N320. A hint more felt recoil. And it behaved very nicely with coated bullets -- SNS 200gr coated in my case.

So yeah, I found it to be an excellent powder. And I've heard it come up as a favorite powder of others from time to time. So I think it's gaining a following.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using it for about 9 months and am very happy with it (particularly the price). I run 5.7gr of CFE Pistol under 180gr Blue Bullets at 1.185" OAL out of an STI Edge. Makes an average PF of about 182.

• 3 years later...
On 4/28/2017 at 6:01 PM, ALB66 said:

I've been using it for about 9 months and am very happy with it (particularly the price). I run 5.7gr of CFE Pistol under 180gr Blue Bullets at 1.185" OAL out of an STI Edge. Makes an average PF of about 182.

Why such a high PF? I like 170 or slightly above in my TSO 40.

Edited by CZGeoege