Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Handling and Range Commands

Old3GNR

6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Looks like uspsa is fully committed to casing when not in use. The wording eliminates slinging and carrying from stage to stage.

I don't get that from that article, I read it as instructions as to how to case the carbine, not when. Personally I'd prefer to see them cased, but I have little say in the matter. (if I had my say, they'd be in rifle matches).

Personally, I like the casing of the gun when moving around between stages, but that is a personal preference.

One side note, "or bolt open" is very reasonable.  I see this at 3G matches which IMHO, works quite well.

1 minute ago, pjb45 said:

One side note, "or bolt open" is very reasonable.  I see this at 3G matches which IMHO, works quite well.

Locally I see "bolt open" allowed at a few matches but at the same time the MD/RM will express the preference that we use flags.  Easier for RO's and other competitors to see.

Some matches its flat out flags required.  I've got them so I use them.

i'm the opposite.  casing and uncasing is a PITA.  chamber flag out to begin, and in to end the COF and be done with it.  no moving the case around needed.  if you don't have a buggy, case and uncase in safe area so there is no holdup at the stage start.  and i like flags and not open chambers as there 'could' be a round in the chamber and if the bolt is dropped there could be a problem.

I got a bunch of JP chamber flags, gave most of them away to friends since I didn't have a PCC.

All that has changed.  I got my new JP last week and luckily I have some JP flags--nice to be product line coordinated :rolleyes:. Makes my fashionista daughter happy.

21 minutes ago, davsco said:

i'm the opposite.  casing and uncasing is a PITA.  chamber flag out to begin, and in to end the COF and be done with it.  no moving the case around needed.  if you don't have a buggy, case and uncase in safe area so there is no holdup at the stage start. 

buggy or not, my preference is that the on-deck shooter unbags at the safe area or side berm (if no safe area available in that bay), and is standing there waiting for me as we finish up scoring. I had a couple rifle-heavy squads at A1 that *really* had their act together, and it was a pleasure to RO them. If all rifle shooters were like that, no one would complain about rifle shooters. No waiting, no muss, no fuss, and top-notch gun-handling skills.

I've seen different styles of flags.  Some have longer, thin extrusions, while others have shorter, fatter profiles.  Not having every competed with a rifle or PCC, is the concern over the flag melting in the chamber a valid one?  Would the shorter flags preferred for that reason, or is it more a preference of the material from which it's made?

2 hours ago, 2MoreChains said:

I have an Arredondo chamber flags that inserts partway into the chamber.  Other than being really dirty it hasn't melted or otherwise deformed after 6 months of fairly regular use at matches.  

Are you saying you don't practice?

;)

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

I've seen different styles of flags.  Some have longer, thin extrusions, while others have shorter, fatter profiles.  Not having every competed with a rifle or PCC, is the concern over the flag melting in the chamber a valid one?  Would the shorter flags preferred for that reason, or is it more a preference of the material from which it's made?

Been using the one linked below for a few matches and training sessions. No indication of melting yet. 
https://www.amazon.com/Tapco-Intrafuse-Chamber-Safety-Tool-Pistol/dp/B0044YJE64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491522762&sr=8-1&keywords=tapco+chamber+flag

6 hours ago, JAFO said:

I have melted one of the long thin ones putting it into the chamber of a regular AR after a long stage.  Since then I've always just put the chamber flag going down into the magwell instead of actually into the chamber with that style of flag.

I don't shoot PCC yet but I shoot a monthly match where there are PCC shooters. I think the new rules are good to go, unbag like everybody else does insert a chamber flag follow the sweeping rules and safe gun handling rules. Don't make any more complicated than needed. Most hardcore pistol shooters need to attend a 3gun match, there panties would really get in a wad.

16 hours ago, jtielke said:

I have melted one of the long thin ones putting it into the chamber of a regular AR after a long stage.  Since then I've always just put the chamber flag going down into the magwell instead of actually into the chamber with that style of flag.

Jason, as fast as you shoot I am surprised you haven't melted the barrel.

I have seen several of the long skinny ones break when slamming the bolt closed so I put it going into the magwell.

gerritm

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:34 PM, pjb45 said:

I got my new JP last week

How are you - anybody - liking that JP?  A friend is shopping and the few others we see on the range here do not inspire confidence.  Not to mention what I read about "musical buffers" and "revolving bolts" in search of something that will Just Work. 

The gun is still a match virgin.

So far it digests 115 and 124 without a problem.  The accuracy is one hole.

Take a look at the bolt bearing surfaces as compared to other bolts.  No doubt that JP is a precision instrument.

I have seen others have problems with their PCC that is one reason I spent the money.  I am not a huge tinkerer?, I want something that runs like the Energizer Bunny.  So far so good.