Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, I've decided that I want to begin the next chapter in my shooting career, and am intending to set up a 550 press very soon.

Firstly, I need recommendations on a potential gear list for a new-to-reloading guy with a 550 series Dillon.

I am a mechanically inclined, do it yourself-er. I am shooting about 5 thousand rounds annually, with two main calibers, 9mm and 5.56. I also want to reload my 6.5 Grendel which may for all but CQB steel replace my 5.56 BCM. I want to improve my shooting mastery, and find a load my Grendel really performs with. I have spent dozens of hours reading forums and PDF manuals, pulling the handle a few times with my buddy on his 650, picking his brain a little, and discovering the joy of losing yourself to the monotony of making your own ammunition.

What I am looking for are the "I wish I would have bought that when I started" - reading material, equipment, modifications, bench tricks, lighting solutions, etc...

Feel free to throw out even the slightest thought.

And next, I wonder if you all have any advice on my equipment.

I have an old and well used 550, and a 600 swager. It came with 4 quick changes with .44Mag/spl, 357/38, 45acp, 30/06 and the corresponding shellplates. There are dies for 30/30 and 308 as well, but not on tool heads. SO, I need dies.  Which ones - Dillon? Lee? RCBS? etc...

I will get two quick changes for 9mm and 5.56, maybe a third later for the Grendel. (I will keep and someday use the previously mentioned quick changes)

I think want to wet tumble... advice?

I need case gages, calipers, etc. Are the cheap digital versions from Amazon OK, or do I need to spend a lot more?

I need a scale... what about Frankford Arsenal digital scales?

I am thinking about sending the press to Dillon, do I need to do anything to have them go through it? I.E., do I need to get an RMA? Is sending it in even necessary? The guy I bought it from said he thought  - doing the math in his head - that the round count was "more than 150, less than 200,000."

I don't think there are any of the new mods to the press, the guy said he bought it when he got home from being deployed and bolted it down, "and there it sat since." I don't know how long this was, Dan is an old guy.

I'm making a list of mods from Dillon and Inline for the press, handle, mount, light, tray, empty bin, etc... (covered above).

What about loading with a fan blowing on/at your back? I'm using my Garage, and it's gonna be hot in the spring/summer.

Press cover? I've got it wrapped in a pillowcase at the moment, thought that would suffice?

I'm not sure where to mount this thing on my bench. At this point I'm thinking about the far right end, any reason not to put it at the end?

What about mounting it to a piece of (XXX) I can clamp onto my bench so I can move/remove it?

Perhaps lastly, though, in a day or two I'm sure someone will spark another train of thought...

There is an old furnace at the left end of the bench which warms my shop in the winter, I'd be a minimum of 15 feet from it. The old man (who knows my bench) said it wouldn't pose any danger. He said that smokeless powder doesn't create dust, so there was no worry of ignition just because there is a pilot lite in the room. Was he right?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any time you take to throw your two cents in. I know I'm probably overthinking this. I come from a long line of perfectionists. My Dad's youngest brother says that my dad is "the only guy I know that has to warm up his bicycle before he can go for a ride". Maybe the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Edited by MALiberty79ks

Welcome aboard :)

Glad you're thinking of starting to reload - great way to shoot 5,000 + rounds/year.

#1.  After you learn how to reload, you WILL shoot a LOT MORE than 5,000 rounds/year.

On a 550, that will take you about 10-15 hours/year to reload ... (an hour/month).

#2.  What you have is all you'll need for 9mm (except for the chronograph), BUT you need

a lot more for the .223.  (Brass processing equipment, unless you will purchase

processed brass).

#3.  I'd spend an hour a day reading the old postings re: reloading here at B.E Forums.

#4.  Can you spend some time with a local reloader - watch and ask him ...???

#5.  Someone with a LOT of experience will be along in a little bit suggesting you scrap

the 550 and buy a 650 because of the .223 reloading (it's not bad advice), but not

necessary.

Start out with what you've got, learn how to reload and see if you want to keep the

550 for some calibers and also buy a 650 for the .223 down the road.

Good luck with it ....   :) 

Dillon has a clean and lube service where they tear it down, replace worn parts, clean n lube it

there is a fee which includes return shipping, I did that to my old well used 650 a couple of years ago, and what I got back was amazing 

I've used Dillion,rcbs, Redding, and lee dies, they all work, the Dillon dies are the easiest to clean and change the bullet seater stem, but their the hardest to adjust

And don't forget case gauges for every caliber you reload and a bullet puller

1. Get a reloading manual such as Lyman's 50th.

2. The bench should be really sturdy.

3. Always make sure you have a lot of supplies - brass, primers, bullets, powder.  You'll be shooting more and don't want to find out you're short.

Brian Enos recommends using KrakenPop, and like BE used to do, they offer packages: https://krakenpop.com/apps/quick-shop

I remember when BE sold them, and he advertised them as something like: "How they SHOULD come."

I've no personal experience with either, as I had all my Dillon gear before finding BE, but I remember looking over his packages and thinking: "Yep, that's how it should have come."

I don't know what to say. My very first post and I get noticed by the man hiss'elf. I don't want to make too much of a thing out of the post, but I really don't want to let it go unnoticed. Thanks Mr Enos, and yes, I've been perusing that area already, and will continue to visit there I'm sure.

You are asking about the Frankford Scale. I have the Platinum Series which is one of the more expensive scales in their line. They are currently going for about $80.00 +/- bux.

As far as performance goes it works well. It needs to warm up about 10 minutes and even then drifts some but not too bad. I bought mine about 2 years ago during a flash sale at Amazon for $42.00 with free shipping. For that price it is fantastic.I don't know that I would be happy paying the present rate though.

I actually have 3 digital scales, the frankford, a smallish CED scale that I won at a prize table and an RCBS Charge Master (combo). For loading up pistol ammo I always use my RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale to verify my powder measure and then check it against my frankford platinum. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the CED scale. I also have and highly recommend a set of check weights. I have the Lyman set I think they are about $40.00 but you should have these. Just so you know, the weights that come with most if not all electronic scales are not check weights, rather they are calibration weights. Big difference.

For pistol loads my opinion is any of the name brand digital scales, including the frankford arsenal are fine. For precision rifle  I would go with something like the Dillon or RCBS electronic or one of the better beam scales. Tricking your powder if you decide to go that route is probably better on a beam. The RCBS Charge master combo is really nice but wouldn't make any sense for you if your using a progressive press for 5.56/.223  I know that it is a topic of great interest but unless you are shooting a lot of 5.56 I think handloading on a progressive press is not that big of a time saver. Others disagree and that's fine but if you think about it, after you size and deprime you need to measure and trim the brass (opps you need a brass trimmer). This means off the press. On a 550 press you then return it to seat the bullet. If your doing a lot and a powder drop accuracy is acceptable then ok but for the guy who reloads 100-200/month I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. On thing if you decide you need an off press priming tool look at the RCBS bench model (I forget the name).

A case prep tool for rifle, the electric ones are nice to have. Mine is the RCBS case mate but I swapped out some of the heads for Lyman and added the RCBS pocket uniformer and the crimp remover. Most of the cool kids use the Dillon swage tool but either way you should consider getting all of that stuff and also case gages. Just decide how much you want to spend and go shopping.

One other thing, if I didn't already own a dry vibratory tumbler and if I had a nice warm place to reload in the winter I would look very close at the Frankford Arsenal wet pin tumbler. You might if you go that route want to budget a dehydrator to dry after wet tumbling.

I have written a lot here and some might disagree with me on some points but this is a place to discuss things. The sky is the limit as far as money goes. This is not an inexpensive enterprise to get into. Consider reloading one (1) caliber at first. Lean and make beginner mistakes then when you have the basics then move on. My advice is pick your most used handgun caliber and learn that first. That way you can put off buying all of the tooling needed strictly for rifle handloads. BTW the strong mounts or ultramounts for mounting the press are worth every penny. If you are like me and like to have books on the shelf I use the Hornady 9th edition and the Hodgdon annual manual the most but everyone has their favorites. For a beginner how-to  reference book for pistol I like Handloading for Handgunners by Patrick Sweeney but any how to book really isn't necessary if your willing to search the forums. For rifle there are a bunch of good books but I will let someone else toss out a title. If you have a Cabelas nearby every time you go there pick up a handful of plastic 100 round ammo boxes. It is impossible to have too many of these. For bulk ammo storage the plastic plaino 30 cal boxes cost about $5.00 at walmart.

The Dillon primer pick up tubes are the best and cost the least. I have a bunch of these tools and several makes and trust me on this just get Dillon. A flip tray is a flip tray get what ever you want but for the pickup tubes having at least 5 of them is worth the expense.

Edited by firewood

On 4/6/2017 at 10:00 PM, firewood said:

You are asking about the Frankford Scale. I have the Platinum Series which is one of the more expensive scales in their line. They are currently going for about $80.00 +/- bux.

The Dillon primer pick up tubes are the best and cost the least. I have a bunch of these tools and several makes and trust me on this just get Dillon. A flip tray is a flip tray get what ever you want but for the pickup tubes having at least 5 of them is worth the expense.

This was really helpful. Thanks for the pointers. This is what I'm hoping to get, the insight and wisdom of those who have gone before.

I bought what I thought was a 550B, what it turns out to be is a 550RL. I called Dillon on it Friday, and sent it in for a factory tune. Hopefully it comes back as the RL I sent in. It's cool to own a piece of history.

I guess now, it's all about waiting to get it back. It's hard not to just sit here and sigh, but now I have the chance to go make a space on the bench!

Thanks for the input folks, keep it coming!

Edited by MALiberty79ks

The 550 is a great machine and will serve you well.  Personally, I load my rifle (223 and 308) on the 550 vs the 650, but either will do the job. 

- As for scales, the Jennings scales are generally pretty good, as is the Gempro 250 or AWS Minipro 50.  Lately I've been using a 25 buck wonder - a Gemini 20 I got off amazon.  Works great for pistol and rifle.  (I have several digital scales and a calibration weight set and the Gemini hangs with the much more expensive scales, unless you are going to trickle....then you may want something a little different).  

- Most of the cheap digital calipers are accurate enough for what you want - but if you appreciate the feeling of quality it is worth buying a Mitutoyo digital or dial caliper - they run a little less than 100 bones but IMO are a great deal and will last a lifetime.

- Been using a pillow case over my 550 for almost 30 years, works well.

- I load in Florida in an non-airconditioned space...a Fan is a must, but when setting the throw weight need to either turn it off or point it so the drafts don't affect the scale. 

- I mount my presses (550 and 650) on 2x6 boards and then use hell-for-stout c-clamps to clamp them to the heavy bench top. Works well and I get no wiggle.  Can also have through holes and large washers and bolt them if you wish, but the C-clamps are easy and work well.  As an added bonus with the c-clamp I have a nice place to rest my bullet feeding hand..  There are pics of this in other threads if you need.

- Dillon service is great.  I'd use the press first and see if there are issues, then go from there.  I have a lot of rounds through the 550 and have only had to rebuild the lower bracket and arms.  Lubrication is key to longevity!

- As for Mods, again I'd use the press and then figure what you want.  Lots of existing threads on this subject.

Being so close to an open flame is not ideal, but not a deal breaker if you are disciplined and keep things clean.  I'd recommend keeping the powder as far as reasonably possible away from the furnace - 10 foot minimum.  Seriously, smokeless powder ignites easily, one tiny ember of burned dust or cobweb in the wrong place will ruin your day.  

For me when reloading pistol on the 550 I can easily do 500-600 rounds per hour, and if really pushing can get to 700...if everything goes well.  But 500 is a comfortable pace and a good average to use after you get used to the machine.  A 650 will do 800+ an hour if everything goes well.  however, there are more moving parts and sometimes when something goes sideways it can take a while to clear or fix.   The 550 is easier in this regard.  So, I'd use the heck out of the 550 and when/if you get to the point where you need a 650 you will know it. 

You got the makings for a great reloading rig, learn how to use it and it will make you a truckload of ammo.  Enjoy!

Edited by Bamboo

• 3 weeks later...

So, an update:

I called Dillon a couple weeks ago, and asked what it would cost to have my well used 550 "gone through". I was told "Get it to us, and we'll make it new again. Send a $67.95 money order in the box for the fees and shop costs." So I did. I got it back last Tuesday and actually thought I had gotten a brand new press back from them. I was upset - that old press had seen more cool things than I probably had. Then I figured out I was wrong, and that they had just cleaned it so well it looked like a brand new press. And for all intends and purposes, it was. I had it on the bench by Tuesday evening, and started in on my first small batch of 9mm. 

Wednesday morning I got a call from a guy who I knew through the grapevine that was aware I was looking to start reloading. He just so happened to be getting out of reloading and had a 650 with a case feeder completely set up for 9mm, and wanted a couple of items I had posted for sale on FB. Well, I now own a 650... Long story shorty, I now have to say goodbye to everything 550, and convert to 650. It's a good problem to have!

Wednesday evening I set the 650 up on the bench in the strong mount, and ran off 250 rounds of 9mm in about 45minutes. (I don't know etiquette for posting loads, forgive me if this is bad) 124Gr Berry's FP .356 bullets, CCI 400, 4.8gr VECTAN Ba9. Thursday I happened to be home from work, and guess what I did... My Sig MK25 chewed up those 350 rounds like it was hungry. I am irrecoverably addicted to this new facet of gunnery.

So, now I have a 9mm 650 on the bench, and today I hit the end of the first 1000 9mm material I have on hand. (ok, it's 965 rounds, I didn't ever count the brass until now, I just assumed it was more than 1000...lesson learned) I now have more ammunition on hand than I have ever owned in a single caliber at one time. Another first. And all because of this guy named Dillon carried his passion into his work and made an average guy like me believe in the American Dream again!

I am sure I will be back soon for another update. Thanks for the help so far guys!

P.S. The 650 came with 6 brand new pounds of HP38... oh what ever will I do with those?!?

Edited by MALiberty79ks