Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To shoot or not to shoot?

AzNooB

I recently got back into practical shooting, and there are just some days I don't feel like I'm on my A game - especially if I'm shooting more than once a week. I can't decide if it's worth it for me to shoot other matches with a low level of mental focus, or to just wait until it's all there.

My main goal is to improve my skills in USPSA as efficiently as possible. Would it be safe to skip out on the IDPA/Steel/Weeknight Matches/Etc. if I'm not feeling it?

If you want to improve your USPSA skills, I wouldn't recommend doing other disciplines (IDPA, Steel) they can be confusing. It's kinda like practicing a bad habit. Not knocking either one of them (I've done both) but the difference can mess with your mental game. Weeknight matches would depend on how they're set up. I do one that uses USPSA rules (sort of, on an inside range, it's tough to duplicate outdoor stages)

Improving the mental game is just as important.  Finding the way to bring your mental focus, even when you are not "feeling it" is a part of the game or games.  Now, all that goes out the window if you overdue yourself.  You are the only one that can make that call.  I, personally, don't find it mentally difficult to switch between styles of shoots.  If it gives you a problem, then follow Bkreutz advice, or find a way to up your mental game.  Another way to go is to try to fit your match schedule to when you are sure you can bring the mental focus you expect to have and shoot whatever style of match fills the bill.  Much of the differences in the game can be worked on in dry fire and not have a detrimental effect of switching styles of shoots.

It depends on what the goal is. If your goal is to take it seriously and really improve, then the vast majority of the time you should do it even when you don't feel like it. Discipline is 100 times more valuable than motivation. If this is just a hobby and you don't want to take it seriously, then yeah for sure just do it when you feel like it.

On 4/5/2017 at 4:14 PM, Jake Di Vita said:

It depends on what the goal is. If your goal is to take it seriously and really improve, then the vast majority of the time you should do it even when you don't feel like it. Discipline is 100 times more valuable than motivation. If this is just a hobby and you don't want to take it seriously, then yeah for sure just do it when you feel like it.

Good stuff.

On 4/5/2017 at 6:14 PM, Jake Di Vita said:

What he said!  I came back to shooting sports after a long hiatus and now just do whatever comes up and have fun instead of being frustrated for not having my "A game".  To each their own!

Maybe it would be beneficial for you to shoot a few less matches and instead dedicate that time to dry or live fire instead. Shoot a match every other week and use the "off" weeks to go live fire practice, along with dryfiring regularly. Not sure what your practice schedule is like, but you would probably improve quicker doing that vs shooting a match or multiple matches per week. Obviously Jake and Brian know way more than I do, but I figured I'd throw it out there. Also, make sure you are staying mentally sharp while practicing

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

On 4/5/2017 at 7:14 PM, Jake Di Vita said:

I would have to agree. Even if you don't feel like it and you are making mistakes, you can still learn from them. Also a day on the range beats any other day!! 

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2017 at 3:37 PM, Bkreutz said:

If you want to improve your USPSA skills, I wouldn't recommend doing other disciplines (IDPA, Steel) they can be confusing. It's kinda like practicing a bad habit. Not knocking either one of them (I've done both) but the difference can mess with your mental game. Weeknight matches would depend on how they're set up. I do one that uses USPSA rules (sort of, on an inside range, it's tough to duplicate outdoor stages)

Steel Challenge is good because you will get 40 draws and 160 transitions.

• 9 months later...
On 4/15/2017 at 2:59 PM, DKnoch said:

Maybe it would be beneficial for you to shoot a few less matches and instead dedicate that time to dry or live fire instead. Shoot a match every other week and use the "off" weeks to go live fire practice, along with dryfiring regularly. Not sure what your practice schedule is like, but you would probably improve quicker doing that vs shooting a match or multiple matches per week. Obviously Jake and Brian know way more than I do, but I figured I'd throw it out there. Also, make sure you are staying mentally sharp while practicing

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

This is good stuff. I’ve been trying to cut down on club matches. I’m trying a system where I shoot maybe one or two matches a month. Either a club and a Major or Just a Major. This is not necessarily what I’d like to do, but a more efficient way of spending my time. I travel a lot for work so my home time is important for my family. Still, i want to shoot. Last year it felt like I was gone for almost two months straight. This year I’m trying to avoid that. So This new tempo seems to be working so far. 

On another note, i think Drills to improve skills is sometimes more important than shooting a lot of matches. One, the reps you get from a drill usually increase your skill level more than three different stages. Two, Stages are rarely the same so it’s harder to judge gains in performance. 

• 1 month later...

I shoot once or twice per month at most and my skills are rapidly improving.  Dry fire is where you will find improvement, but I am a fan of occasional cross-training.  Once every couple months or so, go shoot a different discipline.  It helps for thinking outside the box and it really helps with mental prep.  I've found that I really focus on my mental prep and visualization when I shoot other disciplines especially since my physical prep (live fire and dry-fire) training is probably lacking. 

• 1 month later...

I can see how IDPA would interfere mentally with your USPSA game.  Steel on the other hand I find to be excellent practice for transitions and accuracy.  There is no C-zone in steel.  No other match will give you a chance to practice 30 +/- surrender draws on the clock.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...