Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

complications between work setup and competition setup

5 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Troy's ruling (IIRC) said that since frame weights were now allowed in Limited but lights were not, if the light was not functional (no batteries, bulb, etc.), then it was essentially a frame weight.

Thank you for the explanation.

9 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Troy's ruling (IIRC) said that since frame weights were now allowed in Limited but lights were not, if the light was not functional (no batteries, bulb, etc.), then it was essentially a frame weight.

But it's really just a flashlight with no bulb. A flashlight is a flashlight is a flashlight. lol

I'm 26 years LEO. I'd caution you not to confuse our game with "training." I rarely use my duty gear in USPSA, because I don't want to confuse the two, & and it sucks to finish that low competing with suboptimal equipment. I agree the gun handling skills, sight alignment, target transitions, etc. are transferable, but tactics are worlds apart. 

It comes down to goals. If you don't care about being competitive & want to hone your skills with duty equipment, shoot open minor with your light. Use cover when available, reload behind cover, the whole 9 yards. Just don't be discouraged when you finish at the bottom. 

If your goal is to play the game & see your scores improve, pick your division, get the appropriate equipment (gun, holster, pouches, belt) & shoot it. 

Dale Earnhardt never drove his Grocery Getter at Daytona, & said "I just wanted to see how I'd finish." 

If you're too young to remember, Dale was was the greatest NASCAR driver that ever lived. LOL.

On 4/28/2017 at 9:28 AM, OPENB said:

Dale Earnhardt never drove his Grocery Getter at Daytona, & said "I just wanted to see how I'd finish." 

If you're too young to remember, Dale was was the greatest NASCAR driver that ever lived. LOL.

Good point, OpenB.  And I agree.  It is good to separate the two.  It's usually best to use the equipment suited for the job at hand and most times the job is what dictates the equipment to be used; as in the case you pointed out above.  I also don't think Dale would have taken his race car down to the local grocery to pick up a bag of chips either.  LOL!  So, I think it is a point well made. :)