Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CGW NP3 Coated Hammer Group Buy?

SlvrDragon50

I've contacted Scott at CGW, and he said that an NP3 coated CGW hammer is a possibility. Unfortunately, cost for a single hammer is expensive, but the price can be dropped if multiple people are interested. If you would be interested in buying an NP3 coated CGW hammer (remember, it is production legal now!), post here! Approx 6-8 weeks turnaround time.

Okay, just heard back from Scott. With 5 people interested so far, it will cost an extra $25 with 6-8 week turnaround. A pre-purchase payment (78+25=$103) will be needed. If you are interested, please join the Google form above. If you are no longer interested, please message me with your name/e-mail, and I will remove you.

Please fill out the following Google form.

https://goo.gl/forms/pwlo4vqKj6wB95r32

I'll send the list over to CGW once I get more info from Scott.

Edited by SlvrDragon50

16 minutes ago, robertwyatt said:

So, why would a person need or care about a hammer being NP3 coated?

the NP3 coating is slick, self lubricating.

The letoff is very slick and is nice from my experience doing competition hammers and sears.

Needed..no, nice detail, yes.

2 minutes ago, eerw said:

the NP3 coating is slick, self lubricating.

The letoff is very slick and is nice from my experience doing competition hammers and sears.

Needed..no, nice detail, yes.

Ahh. Okay based on that, I'd be interested in getting in on the group buy.

I have an NP3 hammer I bought from Stuart. Absolutely agree with everything he said. My DA pull felt much much smoother.

Would people mind if I collected information using a Google form like name and email?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

I have an NP3 hammer I bought from Stuart. Absolutely agree with everything he said. My DA pull felt much much smoother.

Would people mind if I collected information using a Google form like name and email?

It's my understanding that the factory sear would need to be fitted to the new hammer to get the manual safety to work?  Some people may not be aware there'll be more work required. A CGW adjustable sear can be bought rather than altering the factory sear. 

Edited by B_RAD

It's my understanding that the factory sear would need to be fitted to the new hammer to get the manual safety to work?  Some people may not be aware there'll be more work required. A CGW adjustable sear can be bought rather than altering the factory sear. 

Yes that is correct. I don't think modifying the factory sear is that difficult, but the adjustable sear is something anyone can do.

8 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Yes that is correct. I don't think modifying the factory sear is that difficult, but the adjustable sear is something anyone can do.

I'd just rather drop in the adj sear. That way if you wanted to go back to stock you don't need another sear. 

20 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

I'm good with this Slvr.  Did Scott mention a minimum number needed?

Thanks for doing this!

53 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I'd just rather drop in the adj sear. That way if you wanted to go back to stock you don't need another sear. 

Completely understandable. I have a backup sear from my 85C. I may end up just buying the adjustable as well if it takes more than an hour to fit. I'm not a fan of opening up the sear cage.

52 minutes ago, jinn707 said:

I'm good with this Slvr.  Did Scott mention a minimum number needed?

Thanks for doing this!

He did not. He said the price would depend upon the number of interested people. I just emailed him back saying we have 5 people interested here right now and will see if he has a price. I would guess ~$100? I can't see it adding more than $35 as that is the same cost as sending a single hammer to Robar.

Updated OP with link to Google Form: https://goo.gl/forms/pwlo4vqKj6wB95r32

Edited by SlvrDragon50

Okay, just heard back from Scott. With 5 people interested so far, it will cost an extra $25 with 6-8 week turnaround. A pre-purchase payment (78+25=$103) will be needed. If you are interested, please join the Google form above. If you are no longer interested, please message me with your name/e-mail, and I will remove you.

Help me out, which trigger is this? Is it the production legal hammer, or the ring hammer?

Both should be production legal shouldn't they? I specifically sent an email about the Race Hammer, but I'm sure you can get the ring hammer coated as well. It's just a matter of adding it to the box of to be coated items.

I've heard several things stating Cajun parts being PRD legal, but can't find anything on the USPSA site stating such, where are you finding these to be legal?  

The bushing - I could see them accepting since you cannot buy a replacement bushing from CZ-USA and it's basically an internal part. 

Hammers... i cannot see how they would make that production legal.  The intent is for production parts, until production shops started releasing race hammers themselves, but the CGW race hammer is in no way associated with USPSA.  I'd love some clarity on this - is this something you just email DNROI and he emails you back and you keep that email in your range bag? 

14 minutes ago, ArrDave said:

I've heard several things stating Cajun parts being PRD legal, but can't find anything on the USPSA site stating such, where are you finding these to be legal?  

The bushing - I could see them accepting since you cannot buy a replacement bushing from CZ-USA and it's basically an internal part. 

Hammers... i cannot see how they would make that production legal.  The intent is for production parts, until production shops started releasing race hammers themselves, but the CGW race hammer is in no way associated with USPSA.  I'd love some clarity on this - is this something you just email DNROI and he emails you back and you keep that email in your range bag? 

I believe this is the ruling they are referring to. It goes into affect next week.

Replacement Hammers, Production and Carry Optics

Note that this ruling is not yet effective
Created:
2/27/17
Updated:
4/05/17
Effective:
4/12/17
Rule Number:
D4, 21.6 D7, 21
Applies to:
Pistol
Ruling Authority:
DNROI
Released

Question:
I want to replace the hammer on my Production/Carry Optics gun with one from an aftermarket shop. Are aftermarket hammers legal replacements in Production and/or Carry Optics, even if the external shape of the hammer is different?
Answer:
As long as the internal parts of the hammer used as a replacement function identically to the internals on the OFM hammer, replacing the hammer is allowed, despite the outward appearance. For example, an OFM hammer that functions as part of a decocking system can be replaced with an aftermarket hammer that looks externally different as long as it continues to function as a decocker hammer. Changing the function to a manually decocked hammer is not allowed, as this essentially changes the model of firearm.

Okay guys, update on the hammers. Turnaround time is apparently 12-14 weeks now. So we should get this going ASAP if you're interested. Or if you are no longer interested PM me please. I've also asked if there are alternative coatings. Also, ring hammers are okay.

16 minutes ago, robertwyatt said:

https://cajungunworks.com/product/production-legal-czc-competition-hammer/

This is the hammer most are putting into the SP01 as opposed to the race or ring hammer. It's cheaper too.

Most people put them into the SP01 because it was the only Production legal option at the time. I'm sure if CGW was legal in previous years it would be very different. Lots of people who compare the CGW and CZC hammers will say the CGW has a crisper break. Of course it's personal opinion, but I think the CGW hammer is better. It also has hammer hooks cut differently than CZC. You certainly could ask CGW to coat the CZC hammer as well, but you're saving a box worth of ammo for something that will carry over many years.

Edited by SlvrDragon50

21 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Most people put them into the SP01 because it was the only Production legal option at the time. I'm sure if CGW was legal in previous years it would be very different. Lots of people who compare the CGW and CZC hammers will say the CGW has a crisper break. Of course it's personal opinion, but I think the CGW hammer is better. It also has hammer hooks cut differently than CZC. You certainly could ask CGW to coat the CZC hammer as well, but you're saving a box worth of ammo for something that will carry over many years.

It's funny because I actually prefer the look of the CZC over the race hammer. Aesthetics and all that haha.

Just now, robertwyatt said:

It's funny because I actually prefer the look of the CZC over the race hammer. Aesthetics and all that haha.

Certainly an option then. Just let them know when it comes time for a pre-order payment. I actually have an NP3 coated CZC hammer right now which I got from Stuart. I really think the NP3 coating made a huge difference. I will likely move it over to my S2 for the time being while I wait for an NP3 coated CGW hammer.

8 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Certainly an option then. Just let them know when it comes time for a pre-order payment. I actually have an NP3 coated CZC hammer right now which I got from Stuart. I really think the NP3 coating made a huge difference. I will likely move it over to my S2 for the time being while I wait for an NP3 coated CGW hammer.

I'm wondering if the NP3 coating is that much better than a well polished and shot hammer. Right now my existing hammers already have very smooth pulls so it's hard to say if a new one will make that big of a difference?

1 minute ago, robertwyatt said:

I'm wondering if the NP3 coating is that much better than a well polished and shot hammer. Right now my existing hammers already have very smooth pulls so it's hard to say if a new one will make that big of a difference?

As Stuart has said, it is very nice to have. It was a big improvement in smoothness over a CGW hammer in my experience.