Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 comp and 115's or 124's

78Staff

Picked up a Carver Comp for my G34 - this is just a fun gun, not trying to make any particular class, etc - had planned on loading up some 115's over WAC, but then also read I should be using 124's to work better in Glock mags - so are 124's the norm for compensated glocks?

Depending on the barrel it may be ok. If your not planning on making major and just shooting for fun load up some N105 and a 115. That should give you plenty of gas to work in the comp

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Open1215 said:

Depending on the barrel it may be ok. If your not planning on making major and just shooting for fun load up some N105 and a 115. That should give you plenty of gas to work in the comp

N105 over 3n38?  Interesting.  I picked up a 1lb of WAC to try, but N105 has been on my to-try list for 10mm, so will pickup some as well... thanks.

Yeah not trying to hit a specific PF, just want to have enough gas to work the comp.  Really just for fun and a learning exercise too - first time shooting/loading for a comp'd gun. :).

Edited by 78Staff

The best predictor of how well a powder will produce gas for a compensator is how much weight it uses to push a bullet to a given speed. Powders that require more weight to push bullet X to speed Y will produce more gas/pressure and will reduce muzzle rise better.  WAC tends to require lower charge weights than other powders often used in compensated guns/calibers, so it does not produce a huge amount of gas compared to "slower" powders that require more charge weight to push the same bullet to the same speed. 

I've loaded 105 for 9 major in a 2011 to see if I could. I believe I got major I can't recall load or PF.

I will say if your not planning on competing with it but want gas for the comp load a light bullet and slow powder.
I know someone here was using lilgun under a 90g for steel. Said it was like a cap gun going off but worked the comp. I don't know if it cycled the slide. If it's a toy drop in an 8lb spring and get some slow powder aa9 n105 or even lilgun n light bullets. Enjoy it. See what works well in the gun.

If you decide to try open major there is a lot of Glock recipes that work well. Hs- 6 and a 115 is awelcome out of a g17 with a carver comp. So is 800x it's just a PITA to load... (LG flake)

Staff, I used to run a 34 in open. I had spoke with Steve at SJC and as far as OAL he said they had found during testing 1.14 was about the limit as far as reliability with mags / feeding. With that OAL I ran 8.4g of VV 3N38 behind 124g MG JHP's for major. I could go slightly longer but took SJC's word and didn't have any problems. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally got around to loading some Zero 125 JHP's for Major with Autocomp...  7.0 seemed to be the most recommended load with WAC and 124/125's from my searches, but I worked up and hit major a bit lower out of the G34.  No primer issues that I could see, and recoil not bad at all... I can't say the dot didn't move, but it definitely toned it down some.

Zero 125 JHP, 1.15 OAL, Winchester SRP, about 85*.

Glock G34 with 6.02" barrel and Wolf 3 port (well, 2 and half really) comp.

Shot List Velocity Bullet Weight Ft/Lbs Power Factor
A 6.7 1367 125 518 170
A 6.7 1367 125 518 170
A 6.7 1363 125 515 170
A 6.7 1371 125 521 171
SD 3      
ES 8      

A 6.9 1409 125 550 176
A 6.9 1388 125 534 173
A 6.9 1399 125 543 174
A 6.9 1407 125 549 175
SD 8      
ES 21      

A 7.0 1436 125 572 179
A 7.0 1443 125 577 180
A 7.0 1438 125 573 179
A 7.0 1432 125 569 179
SD 4      
ES 11      

If you're not loading for USPSA Major and you want to see just how flat your gun can shoot, get some 95/100gr bullets and N105 or 3N38; the bullets are short, so OAL is not a concern, recoil is very light and you can load a TON of powder under them.

The flattest load I've ever shot was 10gr of SP2 (almost identical to 3N38) under a 100gr pill.

On 4/4/2017 at 7:17 PM, 78Staff said:

Picked up a Carver Comp for my G34 - this is just a fun gun, not trying to make any particular class, etc - had planned on loading up some 115's over WAC, but then also read I should be using 124's to work better in Glock mags - so are 124's the norm for compensated glocks?

First, it's not a Class, it's a Division. Class is a shooter based skill level, against all other shooters in  your Division, percentage based , Division is gun based, Open, Limited, Limited 10, Production, Carry Optics, PCC, etc,,, There is no reason why 115 grain bullet would not work in any Glock. Are you going for USPSA Open Major 9 Division?

Edited by 9x45

13 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

If you're not loading for USPSA Major and you want to see just how flat your gun can shoot, get some 95/100gr bullets and N105 or 3N38; the bullets are short, so OAL is not a concern, recoil is very light and you can load a TON of powder under them.

The flattest load I've ever shot was 10gr of SP2 (almost identical to 3N38) under a 100gr pill.

Just now, 9x45 said:

First, it's not a Class, it's a Division. Class is shooter based, Division is gun based. There is no reason why 115 grain bullet would not work in any Glock. Are you going for USPSA Open Major 9 Division?

Nope, just for fun - apologies if I offended with incorrect nomenclature :).

I'll pickup some lighter bullets to try as well...

Thanks,

'78

No apology needed, I thought you were looking at USPSA Open Major 9 because this is a competitive shooting forum.... Now for Steel Challenge, there is no power floor, only a minimum velocity of 600 fps, so lighter is faster. 

But? Why wouldn't you want to shoot competition???

Edited by 9x45

Well, wouldn't say I'm not interested, just to many other commitments going on atm.  If fact a buddy at work shoots USPCA at the outdoor range we both belong to and has been trying to get me out there with him or some time now even..   I just enjoy shooting whenever I can, and enjoy trying new things, so was experimenting with some hotter loads for the G34.  Yesterday was the first time I had even been able to get to the outdoor range in almost two months :(.

I use my 34 to shoot steel challenge using KKm barrel and Carver 4 port comp. I load 95 grain lead / powder coated bullets at 1500 FPS. Dot barely moves, it's a fun gun to shoot for sure. I use 120 bullets for falling steel, three gun and 95's for Bowling Pins.