Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do your perceptions of recoil change over time?

rdinga

Have always preferred the slow push recoil of 147's over the snap of 124's. This past weekend I was practicing on plates. After a few hundred rounds, I  observed my times were better with 124's loaded over 4.0 grains of VVN320 vs 147's loaded with 4.0 of WSF. What changed? 

Does the faster cycle time of the 124's make a difference? 

In my opinion. ....135s are the happy medium. ..... not snappy like 124s with a mild recoil still

Remember. ....135s could go subsonic (980FPS) and make a comfortable PF

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Buuuuuuuut......not that many 135s options available

Really? Just of the top of my head without a Google search, I can think of BBI, blue, and sns who offer 135gr.

yes it changes

I used to swear by 147's....... Then 135's

I have now found a 130 grain ( they weigh out  133ish)  coated groovless pill that is working well for me and my gun

Edited by biglou13

I think perception definitely changes over time. When I started shooting about 4 years ago the first time I tried a 124 I thought it was gold. I hated 147 at that time for some reason too. After a couple years into this I had some 147 laying around so I loaded them up and tried them again. I happened to have 124 loaded up the same day and I was surprised that my perception changed. I wasn't convinced either one was better than the other but the felt different that's for sure. So yea perception changes over time but I don't think one weight is the "best" so I haven't played around with bullet weights all that much lately. There's no holy grail. Different stokes for different folks. 

It depends on what you shoot. I started with magnum revolvers about 40 years ago. The first handload I ever made was for .41 Magnum and when barrels are 6" or longer, it's not that difficult to get to 1500 FPS with  a 210 gr. JHP.  What is the power factor for that? 315!!! All of this BS I read about minimal diffences in loads at 130 PF? Give me a freakin' break!!!

For someone who's been handloading for 30+ years and shooting magnums for the same duration + a decade, to me it's a bunch of superfluous BS. Blind leading the blind!

Load for accuracy first and foremost. If you're worried about a different recoil impulse at 130 PF, check your diaper!

Lol......^^^ I really enjoyed reading that post

Recoil doesn't matter.  Cycle speed matters, how the gun tracks throughout recoil matters, muzzle rise matters.  Get rid of end-shake with a light recoil spring, and work on your grip.

147s suck.

Absolutely, When I first shot my 300 win mag it felt like it kicked pretty sharply. (hunting rifle, light weight) after many years it doesn't seem that bad. Same with hand guns. The longer I shoot them the mellower the feel. Acclimating to the recoil? Not sure.

Funny story... I was trying 40 over major for bowling pins and dang, it was snappy. Then ran 25 rounds of 454 casul. Swithing back to the 40... it felt like a 22! Any flinch or glitch was gone and I actually shot competitively.