Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

She's in the oven now...

So you guys are gonna have to wait until tomorrow for "after" pics.

(Not shown: my SSI Scales are black now.)

Stripped bare and degreased:

IMG_2273.JPG.9a4bafdc21daf304e8e1cf1bdedb8b72.JPG

Masking:IMG_2275.JPG.bc76a5a456507fdc61929824ae1d937a.JPG

Sandblasted & hung:

IMG_2271.JPG.7692495a976c053effaeae59dc5a0525.JPG

Airbrushed in 'stainless' cerakote:

IMG_2272.JPG.f8dd15782c181fbaa5b91d3eed6cc355.JPG

Spending four hours in the oven at 200 f:

IMG_2274.JPG.ce97826919b8ea898a91954be0218c76.JPG

Edited by MemphisMechanic

@NicoR

Per the USPSA website, as long as you don't use a significantly grippier texture then it is allowed:

11) I see that USPSA has decided to allow me to refinish the frame of my gun. Can I paint it with “crinkle paint” or some other finish which provides some texture?

ANSWER: NO. Frames and slides may be refinished for cosmetic purposes only, and the finish cannot result in a competitive advantage. Any finish which is deemed to provide a competitive advantage – for example, a roughened texture in an area where grip tape is not allowed – would make your gun a “new/unapproved model” which would not be legal for use in USPSA Production Division.

12) I want to hard-chrome my gun, but hard-chrome provides “non-cosmetic functions” (such as lubricity, rust prevention, etc). Is hard-chroming allowed?

ANSWER: YES, as long as the new finish provides no competitive advantage (such as roughened texture where stippling or grip tape would not be allowed, per Appendix E4).

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@NicoR

Per the USPSA website, as long as you don't use a significantly grippier texture then it is allowed:

11) I see that USPSA has decided to allow me to refinish the frame of my gun. Can I paint it with “crinkle paint” or some other finish which provides some texture?

ANSWER: NO. Frames and slides may be refinished for cosmetic purposes only, and the finish cannot result in a competitive advantage. Any finish which is deemed to provide a competitive advantage – for example, a roughened texture in an area where grip tape is not allowed – would make your gun a “new/unapproved model” which would not be legal for use in USPSA Production Division.

good to know.  

[mention=64743]NicoR[/mention]

12) I want to hard-chrome my gun, but hard-chrome provides “non-cosmetic functions” (such as lubricity, rust prevention, etc). Is hard-chroming allowed?

ANSWER: YES, as long as the new finish provides no competitive advantage (such as roughened texture where stippling or grip tape would not be allowed, per Appendix E4).

I envy you guys so much...

In this case I think our rule makes more sense than IPSC's. There's no reason I can think of to forbid someone from customizing their gun with a new color except for:

1. Adding grit or texture to a previously smooth surface, like the front of a slide without cocking serrations. But that would really be rather obvious.

2. Hiding reshaping or blending edges. I can certainly see someone undercutting a trigger guard or backstrap for a higher grip, or relieving/blending edges on their gun and hiding it under a coat of paint.

In this case I think our rule makes more sense than IPSC's. There's no reason I can think of to forbid someone from customizing their gun with a new color except for:

1. Adding grit or texture to a previously smooth surface, like the front of a slide without cocking serrations. But that would really be rather obvious.

2. Hiding reshaping or blending edges. I can certainly see someone undercutting a trigger guard or backstrap for a higher grip, or relieving/blending edges on their gun and hiding it under a coat of paint.

I totally agree!

3 hours ago, aandabooks said:

I think it looks great.  How difficult is the cerakote process?  I've been thinking about buying a kit.

Degrease like crazy. Mask. Sandblast to bare steel. Mix 18:1 with hardener. Apply with airbrush. Cure in the oven (200 degrees for 2 hours.)

I've thought about getting certified as a cerakote applicator, but there's just not enough money in it for the amount of time it consumes.

This took a total of about four hours total, stripping prepping masking and coating.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I've thought about getting certified as a cerakote applicator, but there's just not enough money in it for the amount of time it consumes.

This took a total of about four hours total, stripping prepping masking and coating.

It's usually never worth it unless you are a high volume player.

Cerakote is too thick and rough for me to want it on the rails or inside the mag well.  I felt a gun that a big time smith had 'koted at while I was at Area 8 this year and it made me cry how gross it was.

Looked real nice though. 

4 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Cerakote is too thick and rough for me to want it on the rails or inside the mag well.  I felt a gun that a big time smith had 'koted at while I was at Area 8 this year and it made me cry how gross it was.

Looked real nice though. 

It takes a bit of trial and error on tight fitting guns as far as mix ratio and thickness. The micro-slick cerakote is awesome for inside the frame, goes on thin and has a great lubricity....

1 hour ago, waktasz said:

Looked real nice though. 

What kind of lunatic doesn't mask those areas off? Oh right. Someone more concerned with how many hours of labor they sink into the job than doing it immaculately.

;)

Maybe someone who doesn't shoot competitively wouldn't. But I damn sure do. This is my third competition-oriented gun that I've cerakoted. I spend about 60-90 minutes with an x-acto knife and the good blue masking tape on each one.

1 hour ago, PatriotDefense said:

It takes a bit of trial and error on tight fitting guns as far as mix ratio and thickness. The micro-slick cerakote is awesome for inside the frame, goes on thin and has a great lubricity....

Most applicators use an HVLP gun, too. I prefer an airbrush because I am not working in bulk on customer's ARs with lots of surface area... and I can lay it down as thick or thin as I want with a dual-action style airbrush.

What grit and material did you use for sand blasting?

PSI?

I'm going to be doing my rock island.

Why did you bake at 200 degrees for 4 hours instead of 300 for 1 hour or 250 for 2 hours?

Did you use h series or the new elite series?

Looks great by the way!

Edited by je85