Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are SV's single stack legal?

woodrow

I'm building a single stack SV and am wondering how far can these thing be customized before they no longer meet the USPSA regs. The rule book it says: Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public. SV is custom but it is available to the general public. The rule book says that slide milling is allowed as long as it not deemed to provide a competitve advantage...but that sounds all too subjective. I'm sure some of the SV style cuts can be "deemed" as a competitive advantage if someone really wanted to label it as such. It seems like a very traditional govt style is the safest bet however I want the SV quality and style.

I've searched on here and seen pictures of some pretty done up guns and some say they fit the box and make weight. And then there's some that are done up with huge magwells and long barrels and stuff that doesn't look legal, but there's nothing stated about which division or anything, just a single stack. But is there a chance that the custom cuts and stuff will be subject to scrutiny at a major match?

I'm new to participating in the single stack division coming from limited. I have a Sig 1911 and a Springer TRP and those would be compliant for sure but but I'd rather shoot an SV. Here in Cali a lot of us shooters are switching divisions and I'd rather shoot single stack than L10. Although I'll stil shoot L10 as I ordered limited SV when things were calm last year and it's delivering now - today actually, after we got hit with a bunch of laws..anyways that's another story for another time. I just wanted to see what you guys think before I order up an expensive awesome pistol that isn't compliant to USPSA rules. Can you guys post some of your SV single stack compliant pistols please?Thanks!

Edited by woodrow

You can't put holes in the slide to lighten it, and you can add weights to the gun, and it can't be bull barreled unless short barreled. It alos used to forbid full length dust covers. Now it forbids full length light rails.  Also no adding weights, tungsten liners and such. But you can do short dust cover, front and rear fancy serrations, tritopped and seriously opened up ejection port and be fine on a bushing gun.  

You can field a pretty fancy gun as long as it has no holes where most don't, it fits in the box, and makes weight. 

If the slide cuts are similar to what comes on most any production 1911, you'll be fine. through-cuts, maybe not, but I don't know that for sure. Lots of guns come flat-topped or tri-topped, so that is perfectly ok, as are pretty much any kind of cocking serrations or decorations.

Thanks for the replies. Yea no through cuts for me and SV doesn't do them anyways. I haven't made or bought a box yet to experiement with the dims but I was reading a thread from a dude that did a 5.4" barrel/slide and I thought that was pretty cool. But yea the tri top with the french boarder and progressive serrations is pretty hot. Those crazy diamonds are starting to grow on me too. I remember the first time I fondled one of those diamon serrated guns I just thought of how sharp and aggressive it is. But it really is unique. Thanks again guys.

with the 5.4" barrel you may have to use only specific magwells. I noticed that the sti dvc classic which has that barrel length has a slightly shorter magwell than my guns.

I could certainly be wrong, but I just assumed they used the Dawson IPSC magwell so it would be IPSC legal, whereas the ICE doesn't fit the classic box

The 2 main issues that most people shooting SS get busted to open for is their mag and the gun weight. In the case of the magazines too big a base pad will stop the pistol fitting in the box. I saw a guy get busted to open because the grip tape he had on his base pad was enough to prevent it fitting in the box. So check your mags and watch out for the weight!