Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended target distance - 3 Gun Pistol practice

alleycat

I'm looking for thoughts on what distance to set up steel plates for practice with 3 gun matches in mind. Shooting 9mm. We have a big piece of property and several sets of plates so we could set up at varying distances if recommended. I have never been to a three gun match and only watched on TV and you tube where distance is hard to judge so any advice would be appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with 3 gun (limited compared to uspsa) is most pistol shooting there are easy hoser targets. Most challenging parts were shotgun loading and long range rifle. Two Delta's are scored the same as two alphas in the 3 gun matches I've shot

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I make you aim your pistol at a few targets in my matches. I'm not asking for bullseye shooting, but I definitely use some larger targets at distance and some 3-6" steel at shorter ranges. 6" plates at 20 yds should be solid practice. A lot of the rest of it just knowing where your POI is relative to POA at various other distances.

36 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

WOW !!!

That seems like quite a small target for 20 yards - not sure I'd be real good at that ...    :huh:

I practice 4" squares from 10-20 yds. Generally the smallest you will see at a match is 6" and they would be between 10-15 yds.

There's always an outlier but usually just 1-2 and most likely won't cost you many places 

40 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

WOW !!!

That seems like quite a small target for 20 yards - not sure I'd be real good at that ...    :huh:

But if you practice the tougher stuff, then most of the shots in big matches become easy.

The match I mentioned above with targets out to 60 yards is also known to have targets as small as 3x4" out to 15 yards. Its very painful to see the people who have never practiced it.  After I saw them the first time I went straight home and welded up some 3.5" circles.

Edited by TonytheTiger

• 2 months later...

For three gun, I practice shooting my pistol on the rifle range.  There are matches that I've shot that routinely have 30 or 40 yard pistol shots.  I can't hit those to save my life - even with practice...   

• 4 months later...