Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Better Value than DVC Open?

jliew08

Hey guys,

Looking for opinions on the DVC Open in 9 Major specifically.  I have read some negative things in the past that seem to be worked out by now, but haven't really seen any recent reviews.  Just wondering if you all thought it was worth the price, or if there was another pistol that was comparable in price, or better to save up for something else.

Thanks!

Edited by jliew08

If your patient you can find some good deals if you look around. Classifieds, some gun builders get good stuff on trade and the prices can be good. Unless you don't have a gun now, and are really itching to go shoot, wait it out and see what comes up. 

I have a new 9 Maj waiting for a home.  Don't let the red scare you because the color can be anything that you want.  Very , Very accurate and built by a World Class smith.  And a Caspian slide.  It is priced below market price.  You wont find a flatter, more accurate gun going.

I have a STI  DVC 9mm .. had one problem with it.. STI took care of it.. since then 1-1/2 years & about 30,000 rounds thru the pipe.. my DVC runs flawlessly..  great pistol..

i have dvc open in 38 super and it sucked the first time out but has been 100% since, other than one mag (sti with grams spring&spacer) that pukes when it gets to a few rounds left in it.  i wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.  i did get a mbx big stick and they've both been perfect together last couple of matches.

BUT, brazos has the now discontinued Trubor's for $2500.  not sure if they will do their HP pkg on them (trigger job, reliability work) but if so that is a smoking deal especially if you get their tuned mag pgk.

Sti dvc 9mm. I've been VERY happy with mine. At 5200 rounds the barrel/comp cracked at the first port. That sucks, and sti has it now for repair. Other than that the gun ran perfect for all 5200 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glad to hear that STI is standing behind it for you.  You still should not be out of a gun at 5200 rounds though.  The unfortunate thing about this, no matter who gun is being shot, there is a price to pay to race.  I must have been lucky through out the 35 years.

Glad to hear that STI is standing behind it for you.  You still should not be out of a gun at 5200 rounds though.  The unfortunate thing about this, no matter who gun is being shot, there is a price to pay to race.  I must have been lucky through out the 35 years.

Yes I agree totally. At this point I'll chalk it up to one of many unknown variables. If the repaired gun goes down again in the next 5-10,000 rounds I'll probably change my tune, but for now I'll take this in stride and cross my fingers that the repair turn around time is less than they quoted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Previously owneda DVC open 9 and I had feeding issues with hollow points.  Only bullet that ran flawlessly was Montana gold CMJ round nose.  I've tried Precision delta and MG hollow points prior to the CMJ RN.  I also had extracting issues where it would hit the optic mount.  So plan on getting a side mount, changing extractor, or getting rts2.  I went with the rts2 with cheely mount and no more issues

when the case extracts and hits the mount, it sometimes goes back in the chamber causing malfunctions

it is not worth the price to me as I can get a running custom gun for a bit more than dealing with the issues.  

Saturday and Sunday. Cant remember my squad number but I will be the only guy there in a blue flannel pattern jersey. Ha

Cool, I'm shooting all day Saturday. I'll PM you closer to the match and maybe we can meet up sometime that day.

Thanks all for the responses. My buddy just got a DVC Open and another shoots a Cheely. Hopefully I'll get to put some rounds down those.

Do you all feel the metal grips really help or are they slower? My limited gun has a plastic grip and I feel the recoil is fine. I'm sure it could be better with a steel grip, but not really seeing the worth of putting it on an Edge at the moment.

I think it's 6's. I feel the dot moves less but is a little slower on the transition which just makes me feel like if I was in better shape or have been shooting it longer that 8 months I could probably not tell a difference.

4 hours ago, davsco said:

brazos has the now discontinued Trubor's for $2500.  not sure if they will do their HP pkg on them (trigger job, reliability work) but if so that is a smoking deal especially if you get their tuned mag pgk.

I've shot two TruBor's (one from Brazos) for the past ten years - great guns - great price.    :bow:

I've had 4 or 5 dvc pass the bench. Haven't been remotely impressed. Slides cracking at the front port. Comps hitting tbe slides (hard) crappy triggers. Sharp egdes...etc for the money they look nice but are not fit well at all. Just my experience.