Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoe fit recomendations

JeremiahD

This is a new spin on the usual "what shoe" threads I've been searching through. Bear with me.

I have seen the predominant shoe here and at matches are various models of Salomon speedcross followed by choices by Innov8 and a few others. The recommendations seem based on personal preference, primarily weight and traction.  NO ONE carries any decent trail shoes in my size (14 US) in stock so  just going out to try them on is not an option (I've tried.)  I'll have to put down a nonrefundable deposit and order if I want Salomons for example,

I'm a runner and am super picky about my shoes. I'm also a bigger dude (for a runner) at #200 or so..  I seriously overpronate when I run so I'd rather a neutral shoe with solid arch support for trail running/matches. I run a Brooks Beast (which is very heavy on the support) when I do any distance stuff, but theres little off road traction, and they weigh a ton. Sprinting in them is a PITA.  

All that said...

I'd like to know what footwear has been working for you, but more importantly I'd like to know HOW those shoes are fitting you. do they run a bit narrow? supportive arches or flatter footed?  Do you run? If so, whats your usual running shoe? Big (12+) feet? ANY sizing, fit, or support detail, any quirk or perk I'd like to know.  Hopefully I can extrapolate that into making a good decision on shoes, sight unseen.  

Have you looked at the brooks cascadia?  It will not offer the support of the beast but depending on the model can offer some pretty good traction and they should be available in extended sizes. 

I trail run in both salomon and brooks and much prefer the brooks for running. Albeit I'm wearing only a size 11 but am also at 200lbs.  My motion control issues are not severe enough for the beast but when I used to run distance on the road the adrenaline were a go to shoe. 

Best of luck...

7 hours ago, pcs352 said:

Have you looked at the brooks cascadia?

I have, the Cascadia GTX is on the short list as I'm partial to Brooks shoes and I like the waterproofing. Do they seem to be a "typical" fit for you or have you noticed any oddities (small toe box, slightly off sizing etc) I should be aware of?

TBH, the support in the Beast is overkill for anything off pavement as the terrain is going to vary anyway, but figured I'd list what I run in.  Neutral is fine, just like some arch support

I don't run. I've torn both Achilles' tendons, & have been fighting Plantar fasciitis forever. I wear 11.5 4E. The best shoe that comes the closest to Saloman  Speedcross that I can wear all day is the New Balance MT910V2. V3 is out now, I haven't tried them yet. They have a tall generous toe box, & lots of heel cushioning. The soles are rubber trapaziods like the Speedcross, but of a softer compound. 

1 hour ago, OPENB said:

I don't run. I've torn both Achilles' tendons, & have been fighting Plantar fasciitis forever. I wear 11.5 4E. The best shoe that comes the closest to Saloman  Speedcross that I can wear all day is the New Balance MT910V2. V3 is out now, I haven't tried them yet. They have a tall generous toe box, & lots of heel cushioning. The soles are rubber trapaziods like the Speedcross, but of a softer compound. 

I'm in the same boat in that in need wide shoes so solomans are out. I found some new style Merrill that come in wide widths that are really great shoes

I've had good success with my Merrels. They have a more rounded toe box and have enough height in the vamp/tongue area to accommodate my larger/taller than average metatarsal area. 

Solomans have always felt a little more of a narrow and long shoe, similar to adidas. 

Ok gang, thanks for humoring me with the details.  I know there's a million "what shoe" threads here but those details are appreciated.

Based on what I'm seeing, the salomons are definitely out, as they seem to be consistently narrow (and I know I don't like the fit on Addidas). I've never been a fan of New Balance fit for me, its almost like the laces dig in, but I will check them out just in case. Dan, how is the lateral tracton on the Altra's? 

I'm leaning strongly towards those Merrils, theres a dealer near my job who carries them so I can at least check them out in person (although probably not try them on..)

I'm currently wearing a pair of their casual dress shoes (I know, apples/oranges..) and I like the way they fit.  If nothing else, I should be able to see them side by side with the other contender, Brooks Cascadia GTX.

BTW, Sarge, funny you chimed in here, I was checking out your footwear sunday at the match in the mud and wondered what those were...

15 minutes ago, JeremiahD said:

Ok gang, thanks for humoring me with the details.  I know there's a million "what shoe" threads here but those details are appreciated.

Based on what I'm seeing, the salomons are definitely out, as they seem to be consistently narrow (and I know I don't like the fit on Addidas). I've never been a fan of New Balance fit for me, its almost like the laces dig in, but I will check them out just in case. Dan, how is the lateral tracton on the Altra's? 

I'm leaning strongly towards those Merrils, theres a dealer near my job who carries them so I can at least check them out in person (although probably not try them on..)

I'm currently wearing a pair of their casual dress shoes (I know, apples/oranges..) and I like the way they fit.  If nothing else, I should be able to see them side by side with the other contender, Brooks Cascadia GTX.

BTW, Sarge, funny you chimed in here, I was checking out your footwear sunday at the match in the mud and wondered what those were...

Yeah, I shot in my addidas soccer cleats since it was so muddy. 

The cascadia is similiar to a ravenna or adrenaline in ride. The toe box, heel cup and width is similar as well. The cascadia is more od a firm ride. I assume it is more firm to protect from rocks and whatnot on the trail. Its a great shoe tho and wouldn't hesitate to own a pair. 

Hey just a follow up for you. The Merrells I have are the Capra Bolt mid. They are great and are waterproof. The only thing I might recommend is to get the mesh version. I got the leather version and i could see them getting too hot in summer. I'm probably going to get a pair of mesh ones for summer

Krym, I'd be interested to know why you went with a mid cut shoe. Just curious.

i found a local Merrill dealer who was willing to order two pair (all out crush / moab fst)  in my size to try out, no strings. I may have found my shoes, thanks for all the assistance. Will post a brief review of whatever I end up with in this thread.

thanks for the help.

Edited by JeremiahD

I went for the mid to have a little extra ankle support but I've never liked how the full height/tall boots feel. I've had ankle injuries in both ankles though (dislocations, high ankle sprains) so that effects my decision to go for a little more support vs running shoe height. I've also found that for hiking I like having the laces go up higher on my ankle so the laces over my forefoot/metatarsal can just be on the looser side of snug. 

If you don't have ankle issues or don't like the feel you don't lose anything going to the sneaker height version of their shoes/boots in terms of grip or anything. I think the merrell sole is one of the grippier ones oyt there without being super heavy or borderline cleats