Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upgrade current gun or trade up

SmCaudata

I currently have a CZ 75 shadow, short dust cover. I like the gun and admittedly relatively new to competitive shooting. I originally got it for IDPA due to weight. I'm now working on moving to 3 gun.

As I'm getting better I'm noticing the muzzle dip when the slide returns to be the bigger control issue for me than the flip. I guess I'm wondering if a full dust cover on an SP-01, tac sport, or shadow 2 would be better balanced or if this is something I can adjust to with lighter recoil spring and practice.

I went to a 3 gun skills course here and I was one of two people in my group of twelve that wasn't shooting a striker... the instructors had 2011s... so there isn't much for me to shoot with for comparisson.

I guess I'm fishing for thoughts from people that have shot both types.

Thanks in advance.

I should mention that part of my motivation is that I want to get a retention holster, base pads, and some other things and don't want to buy all that if I'm going to be selling it soon down the road. Also, I like to tinker with things and would like to tinker with the gun I end up keeping.

Yeah, now that I reread it, it does seem funny. I was thinking the heavier gun would handle the reciprocating mass better, but I suppose polymer guns do just fine. Time to get some lighter springs...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, SmCaudata said:

Yeah, now that I reread it, it does seem funny. I was thinking the heavier gun would handle the reciprocating mass better, but I suppose polymer guns do just fine. Time to get some lighter springs...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I use 8lb recoil spring from tanfo, it works great

7 minutes ago, Dr Mitch said:

Work on your grip. Also, get a lighter recoil spring.  Any time you think of buying a replacement gun, spend that money of bullets, powder, and primers.  Become great.

Best advice ever!

20 minutes ago, Cruiserweight said:

I'm the same way, I thought I needed a shadow 2, but I already have a fully Cajunized sp-01 so I doubt the shadow 2 would magically improve my shooting ability. Just want it because I'm greedy lol

I sold my S2. I liked it. Especially the larger grip. However, I didn't feel it would give me any advantage over my S1. Granted I only shot it about 20-30 rounds. So I sold it to remove the temptation. I didn't want to try to get used to another gun at this pint in the season. At the end of this year I may give it another try. 

18 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

I haven't shot my S2 much, but I think my score will improve over my 85C. My grip is much more confident.

I don't think any gun will cause better scores over any reasonable gun. However, if it inspires you to practice more, then absolutely.

My scores went way up when I switched from an M&P to a Shadow, but that was only because I enjoy shooting it so much that it encourages me to use it every single day. 

Just now, Sliv2 said:

I don't think any gun will cause better scores over any reasonable gun. However, if it inspires you to practice more, then absolutely.

My scores went way up when I switched from an M&P to a Shadow, but that was only because I enjoy shooting it so much that it encourages me to use it every single day. 

I definitely expect it to for me since there's a massive change in frame design. The old design resulted in a weak grip because my hands sweat so much.

I like the short dust covers. I use a 10lb spring and it returns nicely without dipping.

All that said: The heavier SP-01 definitely kills more recoil, imo. It's a nice gun.

My excuse for getting a new CZ: "I can relegate my old CZ to a backup gun. Because everybody needs a decent backup gun in case one goes down on a stage".

Sounds more reasonable than "because I want it".

47 minutes ago, NoKimberDave said:

My excuse for getting a new CZ: "I can relegate my old CZ to a backup gun. Because everybody needs a decent backup gun in case one goes down on a stage".

You're about to put my credit card in a world of hurt lol.

I do need a backup gun...

5 hours ago, NoKimberDave said:

I like the short dust covers. I use a 10lb spring and it returns nicely without dipping.

All that said: The heavier SP-01 definitely kills more recoil, imo. It's a nice gun.

One is none and two is one. ;)

I have an SP-01 and haven't noticed any muzzle dip with mine. I grip my gun pretty hard and it stays fairly flat during recoil. I use the stock rubber grips and some grip lotion. I dunno if that might help-grip

lotion and grip hard?

If you are having the muzzle dip when the slide goes into battery I would suggest attempting to run a lighter recoil spring. That should help a bit. Check Youtube Nictaylor00 1911 tuning. Same principle, check with Cajun gunworks or CZ customs for lighter recoil springs. I run an 11 on my SP-01.