Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strategies for selling a gun

I have a Ruger NMV for CFDA that I want to sell. My thinking is to work with a local gun store, knowing I'll get significantly less for it than I paid. I'm trying to figure out the best way to make the deal not bad for either of us. What's the "usual" loss percentage on a gun with little use? Would it be better to sell for store credit instead of cash? Are there any other ways to make it a better deal? I have some odds and ends for it as well, but doubt a gun shop would be interested.

Are there any internet boards in your area that specialize in firearms and sporting goods for sale?

Here we have "TexasGunTrader.com".   There is enough competition that you can probably get a fair price.  Some post prices too high and they sit.  Others price too low and they go quickly.  Plenty of classifieds to compare so that may help you come up with a reasonable sales price.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, leam said:

What's the "usual" loss percentage on a gun with little use?

Depends significantly on the gun, for something as unpopular as a vaquero, going to be pretty bad.  Plenty of guns sell for nearly new prices when used at physical stores.  That's not going to be one of them.

Would it be better to sell for store credit instead of cash?

A well priced competitive store should give you the same amount, things like guns & bulk ammo are priced so close to everyone else that they're not going to expect to turn much profit, but you'll still lose some.  Take cash, in case the store inventory you're considering isn't well priced and competitive (accessories and other low end garbage junk priced at MSRP).

Are there any other ways to make it a better deal?

Don't take it into the store to sell.  I've made fortunes on walk-ins wanting to sell their guns.  See if a local store will consign it instead of buying outright if you have some time to work with, we used to do that for a 15% commission, although lots of gun shops won't take consignments. 

But if you do have some time to work with and don't need cash fast (considering the store credit idea), sell online.  That local place might get 200 folks daily if it's a heck of store, only 3 of which might even consider buying a Vaquero at a brick n mortar store price.  Online you can reach tens of thousands easily; craigslist, backpage, armslist, arfcom, facebook, here, etc.

Edited by JimmyBob