Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing a Stuck Round Before Showing Clear

At a match recently a shooter was unable to unload and show clear due to a round being stuck in the chamber.  After several attempts to eject the round, the shooter fired the round into the back berm to clear the malfunction.  

It was determined that this shot wasn't part of his stage run and therefore didn't count against his time.  Is that correct?  

Edited by TravisNC

Your allowed to shoot until the "if clear,  hammer down, holster" command.

If they was unable to show clear the command shouldn't have been given so no issues

6 minutes ago, Kraj said:

Your allowed to shoot until the "if clear,  hammer down, holster" command.

If they was unable to show clear the command shouldn't have been given so no issues

My only confusion was whether or not the last shot should have been on the clock, thus adding ~30 seconds to the stage time.  

It was probably not added.  As an RO I have more than once had this happen to a shooter I was running.  I simply made sure we had the correct time wrote down and the had the shooter fire the gun into the berm, then ULSC as usual.

50 minutes ago, blueeyedme said:

I would call that a malfunction during the COF.  5.7.6 allows the RO to terminate the COF due to the malfunction in which case it is scored as shot.  Then the malfunction can be cleared off the clock.

That's surprisingly reasonable. I've always wondered how the rulebook interprets such a situation...

I see it more in Steel Challenge with rimfire shooters not wanting to retain the last round after it's been fed in.

But the RO must have been the one directing that shooting into the berm be the course of action.  If a shooter is trying to "If finished, ULSC" but chooses on his own to shoot into the berm and THEN unload and show clear, then the shot should be on the clock.  @TravisNC wasn't clear with that detail of his query.

Edited by CHLChris

12 minutes ago, CHLChris said:

But the RO must have been the one directing that shooting into the berm be the course of action.  If a shooter is trying to "If finished, ULSC" but chooses on his own to shoot into the berm and THEN unload and show clear, then the shot should be on the clock.  @TravisNC wasn't clear with that detail of his query.

Technically, the CRO/shooter was telling the person running the timer his intention.  Sorry for leaving that off. 

I think it's fair enough if the dude couldn't eject the round (weakling) he can tell the RO and ask permission to fire it into the berm. at that point RO needs to check the time on the timer and relay it to the scorer, ensure no one has encroached the range, then allow the shooter to fire the round (or even better the RO should have taken over control of the gun and just cleared the MALF or then fired it if he had to). 

to clarify, if he stops shooting and RO asks "IFUASC" and he can't ULASC then that is a malfunction during the COF as the attempt at the COF ends @ "RIC" ie., when shooters hand comes off a holstered pistol.

But the RO must have been the one directing that shooting into the berm be the course of action.  If a shooter is trying to "If finished, ULSC" but chooses on his own to shoot into the berm and THEN unload and show clear, then the shot should be on the clock.  [mention=63013]TravisNC[/mention] wasn't clear with that detail of his query.

True that. If the shooter chose to unload and show clear by firing the last round it's on the clock. If the RO directed the shooter to clear the malfunction by firing into the berm. Off the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2017 at 9:08 AM, Gary Stevens said:

The COF ends when range is clear is announced. Simple process, the RO records the time, then directs the shooter to shoot into the berm. Clear gun, announce range is clear, and proceed.

How can the R.O. call range is clear when the shooter still has a loaded gun?

Time stops on last shot fired.

5 minutes ago, bret said:

5.7.6 allows the RO to terminate the COF due to the malfunction in which case it is scored as shot.  Then the malfunction can be cleared off the clock.

1 minute ago, blueeyedme said:

5.7.6 allows the RO to terminate the COF due to the malfunction in which case it is scored as shot.  Then the malfunction can be cleared off the clock.

Thanks

4 hours ago, bret said:

If he shoots it into the berm, and the RO clears the gun, etc., the gun is no longer loaded so Range Clear can be called. What am I missing?

With PCC joining the mix, we had at least 2 or 3 cases on our stage during Area 2.  Competitor could not get the charging handle to move, or eject the live round.  Recorded time, shot the berm, cleared gun, next shooter.

3 hours ago, Gary Stevens said:

If he shoots it into the berm, and the RO clears the gun, etc., the gun is no longer loaded so Range Clear can be called. What am I missing?

I believe that bret thought you meant that the range is clear was announced first. THEN the RO records the time and directs the shooter to shoot the berm

"The COF ends when range is clear is announced. Simple process, the RO records the time, then directs the shooter to shoot into the berm."

Maybe not. B)

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:46 PM, bishop414 said:

With PCC joining the mix, we had at least 2 or 3 cases on our stage during Area 2.  Competitor could not get the charging handle to move, or eject the live round.  Recorded time, shot the berm, cleared gun, next shooter.

We have been doing this a lot with the Palmetto State 9mm carbines.  Seems like everyone bought their guns around the same time and the chambers are tight as hell

33 minutes ago, SW4me said:

We have been doing this a lot with the Palmetto State 9mm carbines.  Seems like everyone bought their guns around the same time and the chambers are tight as hell

Sounds like they are loading their rounds too long.  

I have two PSA 9mm PCC and both require I load short.  Otherwise I have the same problem.

But it does raise the concern about pressure problems in their guns.

Bill

Sounds like they are loading their rounds too long.  

I have two PSA 9mm PCC and both require I load short.  Otherwise I have the same problem.

But it does raise the concern about pressure problems in their guns.

Bill

I thought that too but two shooters at my local club had this issue with factory ammo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just now, SW4me said:

I thought that too but two shooters at my local club had this issue with factory ammo.

I've had the same problem on my PSA carbines with some 147 gr factory ammo.  It was just loaded too long for this barrel. I rarely shoot factory ammo but have not had problems with 115 gr factory stuff.

• 1 month later...

I've had the same problem on my PSA carbines with some 147 gr factory ammo.  It was just loaded too long for this barrel. I rarely shoot factory ammo but have not had problems with 115 gr factory stuff.

I shot with a PSA rep who said they'll replace the 9mm barrels after a bad lot with short / tight chambers. Maybe give them a call

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk