Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Found out Springfield 1911 firing pins are 9mm size

Silly me, I thought a 1911 9mm firing pin and 45 ACP firing pins would fit into their respective caliber guns.  If you have a Springfield Armory....NO.

After 10K rounds through both guns, I thought I better have spare parts around.  So, I ordered Wilson  9mm and a 45 ACP firing pins from Midway.  To my surprise none of the parts fit into their respective guns.  Not thinking clearly I ordered a genuine Springfield 9mm firing pin from Midway next.  It didn't fit either.  :(

So, I took out my calipers and did what I should have done in the first place, measure the nominal tip diameters of the firing pins.

Here is what I found.

9mm Springfield RO   0.062"

45 ACP Springfield TRP 0.070"

Wilson 9mm FF from Midway  0.068"

Springfield 9mm from Midway  0.066"

Wilson 45 ACP from Midway  0.089"

Results, only the factory original RO firing pin would fit into the RO.

The Wilson 9mm and Springfield 9mm firing pins from Midway will fit into the Springfield 45 ACP TRP.  Looks like Springfield uses 9mm firing pins on their products.

The Wilson 45 ACP firing pin won't fit either the 9mm RO or the 45 ACP TRP.

I called Springfield customer support and asked them how much new firing pins would cost.  They asked for my serial numbers, verified my address and said the part will go out FREE of charge!  :D I'm very impressed with the SA customer service.  A few years ago they replaced the slide on a XDm for free, even after 20K rounds.