Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I shot my first Steel Challenge match...Will I be classified?

LeviSS

Go to steelchallenge.com results page and see if the match is listed. If it is and it doesn't have a notice about the activity fee needing to be paid then you will earn your classification on Wednesday.

I think actually practicing the stages, or at least shooting them some, would really help my times.  It seems to be a strategy/muscle memory type thing.  I found myself having to think about order or I'd mess up the order on a couple runs.

On 4/7/2017 at 11:28 AM, LeviSS said:

I think actually practicing the stages, or at least shooting them some, would really help my times.  It seems to be a strategy/muscle memory type thing.  I found myself having to think about order or I'd mess up the order on a couple runs.

It is certainly true that practicing the specific stages will make you better at shooting this specific sport.  That being said, just practicing shooting skills (draws, transitions, accuracy at speed) is sufficient to reach a high classification in most of the divisions.    For those who are high classification and want to win major matches, practicing specific stages (after reaching that high level) is generally necessary to shave off the last couple of fractions of a second to win.

That is separate from making mistakes in terms of plate order.  You are probably going to find that how you decide to shoot a stage will change over time as your skills change, so practicing (live fire) the stage again and again won't necessarily help as much as you might think.  Practicing your run in dryfire, and visualizing it clearly a couple of times before you actually shoot the stage should be enough to make certain you get your order correct.  If not, visualie it clearly more than a couple of times.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
Practice and more experience really helps.  Here is a chart of the first time I shot SC and my scores from this past weekend shooting the same stages...

Steel.PNG.b11df2b07fda9bdf2e45ea609ea0d8b4.PNG

And these scores moved me from C to B. Just like that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk