Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5" or 6" 1911?

twister

I shoot a 5" 1911 with iron sights in a PPC league, and I'm thinking a 6" would improve my scores. The question is, how much? The gun is a 9mm, and I would like to stay with a 9. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave.

Dave, just a thought. some of the most accurate shooters we know of are bullseye shooters. Most all of them use 5" guns.

BUT

being one to never stop a guy from getting a new gun!! you should get one so you can report back to the rest of us how cool your new gun is, go for it!!!

Do the 6". It really helps.  The extra sight radius helps you see and correct sight alignment errors.  My Targetmaster is one of the most brilliant guns I've ever owned.  If you're shooting PPC it's the gun to have.  Also look for similar 6" 9mm's used from Briley, Nowlin, etc.  If you want I can put you in touch with a PPC shooter selling a really awesome custom Nowlin 6", the clone of which has won the PPC national title 6-7 times along with several Bianchi Cups.  I think he wants around $2K with a bunch of extras.

On 4/3/2017 at 0:12 PM, twister said:

I shoot a 5" 1911 with iron sights in a PPC league, and I'm thinking a 6" would improve my scores. The question is, how much? The gun is a 9mm, and I would like to stay with a 9. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave.

I don't know if split times matter in PPC, but a 9mm with a 6" slide can feel very sluggish if the slide hasn't been lightened.