Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short base pads for Colt mags?

Hello: Is anyone making short base pads for Metalform Colt SMG 20 round magazines? I am using one TTI Glock 17 base pad on some of my mags but some of them have been blowing out the bottom when the base pad falls off. They are a little too wide for the Colt mags. Just wondering if anyone has stepped up and made some for the Colt mags that are made from aluminum. Electrical tape is not the best option but does work and so does bicycle inner tubes as well as Magpul rubber pulls. Just looking for a better option for those classifier reloads. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Well I had a little time tonight and came up with this for the time being. 10 round magazine with a oak wood block insert for a Taylor Freelance base pad. It does not add any rounds but makes the reload for classifiers faster and easier on the hands. Maybe good for IDPA or states with magazine round limits. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0852.JPG

Hello: The only ones that really fit are the Taylor Freelance which is the one in the pic above for Colt mags. I asked Robin Taylor if he would make some that were about half the size but he did not think there would be enough demand. I think he is wrong, but for now that is all we have until someone can machine some smaller base pads for the Colt mags. The 20 round mag with a thin base pad would be great for small round count stages and for stings with multiple strings with reloads. It would also make it easier for the big mags so they would hold a couple more. I could be wrong but I don't think so. Anyone have a CNC mill and want to machine up a 100 base pads? Thanks, Eric

8 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Well I had a little time tonight and came up with this for the time being. 10 round magazine with a oak wood block insert for a Taylor Freelance base pad. It does not add any rounds but makes the reload for classifiers faster and easier on the hands. Maybe good for IDPA or states with magazine round limits. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0852.JPG

That's s great idea! Here in ny that's what I'm limited to.. what are the dimensions of the wood block?

3 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: The wood block inserts are 0.700" thick x 1.200" wide and 1.735" tall. Mine are made from white oak but anything will work even an old hockey stick. Thanks, Eric

Thanks! Gonna have to play with the length so I can shoot 15 rds in jersey also.

Are their any pistol extended base pads that we know will fit on a Metalform mag? All the Glock pads I've tried are too big. I just want to add a couple rounds to avoid reloads on a long field course. Anyone tried M&P Arredondo base pads?

7 minutes ago, OPENB said:

Are their any pistol extended base pads that we know will fit on a Metalform mag? All the Glock pads I've tried are too big. I just want to add a couple rounds to avoid reloads on a long field course. Anyone tried M&P Arredondo base pads?

Hello: I have not tried the M&P base pads but could try some tomorrow night at the indoor match. If you use the Taylor Freelance ones on the 32 round mags they work perfectly. If you use them on the 20 round Metalform mags you have to use the 32 round spring to get reliable feeding. The 20 round spring is just not quite strong enough. When using the Taylor base pads on the 20 round mags it makes them the same length as the 32 round mags. I normally just load the Taylor Freelance base pads on the 32 round mags to 38 rounds anyways and carry 2 20 round mags on my belt. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I think the Metalform magazines and the Taylor Freelance base pads are economical compared to 2011 magazine setups. The great thing about the Metalform Colt mags is they just plain work at least they have for me. Magazines under $30 and Taylor Freelance base pads for $39.95. That's less than an MBX. Thanks, Eric

24 minutes ago, bluesman2a said:

What about the 3D printed ones that Taccom has listed here?

https://taccom3g.com/taccom-3d-print-downloads/

Hello: I don't have a 3D printer and prefer aluminum base pads that are easily removable for cleaning and don't require tools. I have some old Dawson base pads that have been dropped 100's of times and still work great. A good design and under $30 would be great something like the TTI, Taylor or Dawson designs. If Metalform can make magazines and sell them for under $20 I think a base pad to bring the total under $50 would be great. I know as PCC shooters were are a small number but as shooters we tend to buy a lot of stuff to do our sport. Look in your shooting box and see how many holsters you have. If you are looking for Metalform mags or ASC mags check CDNN, Midway, Brownells and Palmetto. Thanks, Eric

I agree.  I've been looking for a small basepad to put on the ends of my 20 or 32-rnd metalforms if for no other reason than to blunt the hard corners.  A 10-rnd mag with short basepad (doesn't even have to be a + extension) would be good for the mandatory reload stages.  

A while back before TF started making the +10 extension, somebody posted that TTI Glock extensions can be made to work with the Metalform mags.  I don't have any of those to try, but maybe somebody else does?  

I use the TTI +3/4 for the G17.   Squeeze the TTI +3/4 base pads in a padded vice so the top lip engagement is reduced about .020"-ish.  Slides on easily and has plenty of engagement with the Brownells and PSA metalform base plate lips. It was kind of sketchy before squeezing.  I get a nice 35 round mag with these.    Recommend squeezing the top portion in a padded vise,  I bought a couple to try, then kept my eye out and picked up about 3 or so used for about 1/2 the new price. 

These are really a nice solution for most of the USPSA stages where you don't need 40 rounds. 

21 hours ago, love2fishnshoot said:

ive been searching for some 20 or 32 round colt mags. tried a few websites already but all seem to be out of stock. where have you guys had luck finding them in stock?

Palmetto state armory has them on sale 

Hello: I tried the Taylor Freelance today with the wood block and the 20 round Metalform magazines. These are the same length as the 32 rounders. These load very fast for me. That big base pad and the length are perfect for a beer can reload. They also worked 100%. The 32 round mags with base pads still give me problems sometimes. It usually is in the first 5 or so I get a fail to feed. Not sure if it's spring pressure issues or feed lip angle or length. I still need to figure out why they are nose diving. Going to try the wood block in the 32 round mags and see if that helps. If so I will be looking for better springs. Thanks, Eric

Hello: My 32 rounders are Metalforms with the Taylor Freelance base pads. The ASC have shorter feed lips but I only have the 10 round ones of those. The 20 round and 32 round ones would not go into my QC10 lower. Not sure if they were off spec but I did not want to mod them to fit so I sent those ones back. Yes the Metalform spring is very long and should be spring enough I think. If I download the mags to 32 rounds with the base pads they feed fine. Load them to 35-38 and I get nose dive city. I will play with them a little more then I will cut the feed lips back a little at a time. Thanks, Eric

Hello: It seems to be a mag spring problem. I think the spring/follower was hanging up on the bottom of the mag when only loaded to 35-38 rounds. When loaded to 39-41 rounds they feed just fine. The jarring of shooting it bumps it over the transition area. I think the square profile of the spring and some sharp edges on the follower are the problem. I will order up some springs and see if that solves the problem first. Then I will take off the sharp corners on the follower. The 20 round mags with the full wood block and the 1" wood block work great. Thanks, Eric