Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light springs & Primers

frankge

Since federal SPPs are near Unobtanium that leaves Winchester which seem to work fine with light striker springs. What's the word on Fiocchi - I searched and consensus is harder than Federal but softer then Winchester. Anyone out there using these in lightly sprung Glocks?

I have not tried the Fiochi primers yet. I had many light strikes with Winchester primers none with CCI with the lighter spring. Good thing the Winchester primers are a gold color and CCI are silver or one of my matches would of been complete crap. I was able to swap out all the Winchester's for the CCI at the match and she ran great with the lighter spring. I opted to put the factory spring back in so I don't have  to worry about it since I still have a bunch of the Winchester primers left.

As long as the primers are seated below flush, the striker tip is not worn, 4 or 4.5lb. spring is changed before it looses tension, striker channel is kept clean there should be no light strikes. 

I have not seen fiocchi primers before. Where are you finding them? I live in Idaho and not a lot of options for places to buy components. I had a lot of light strikes using S&B primers and a few with Winchester and Remington. I changed back to Stock striker spring and haven't had an issue since. 

On 4/6/2017 at 0:40 AM, chrisbrayton said:

I have not seen fiocchi primers before. Where are you finding them? I live in Idaho and not a lot of options for places to buy components. I had a lot of light strikes using S&B primers and a few with Winchester and Remington. I changed back to Stock striker spring and haven't had an issue since. 

Almost no one here buys components locally. When you shoot in enough volume, ordering from bulk places online really saves you $$$.

Grafs, Powder Valley, and places like them are where it's at... as long as you need 5,000-20,000+ at a time ;) 

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Almost no one here buys components locally. When you shoot in enough volume, ordering from bulk places online really saves you $$$.

Grafs, Powder Valley, and places like them are where it's at... as long as you need 5,000-20,000+ at a time ;) 

I haven't heard of any of those. I will check them out. I saw them listed as vendors somewhere in the forum.

I use CCI primers in my reloads and Winchester primers in factory ammo.  I use a 4.5# striker spring with a Jager lightened/extended tip striker and have never had a light primer hit.  I experimented briefly with a 4.0# striker spring and the Jager striker was still good to go, but I had several light hits with the stock striker (approx one-two per 100 rounds).  I ultimately settled on the setup mentioned above for the peace of mind over the 4.0# spring.

federal. winchester.cci.fiocci  from softer to  harder primers....then the rest in no particular  hardness  order....

i  use    the lightest  springs  possible for the  recoil rod  and  my zev striker  in my 35 and 22 limited guns.  of  course  i'm using the  ammo loaded  with federal primers  at the matches, but winchester  in practice  with 0  ignition problems  while  i  won't  use  winchester  in 
 the  game  for  my peace  of  mind lol . cci and  S&B  or  fiocci are   a  no  go  given the light springs  i  use  in my guns  .

polishing the connector, cruciform tab , safety plunger  and  the  striker  leg  ( which engage the  cruciform tab)    bring  some  valuable  improvement  in the  trigger  weight break  and  feel, but  there's  more gains  into  reshaping some  angles  on the  connector  and  the trigger bar  tab  ( which   rubs  on the  connector )  while  i   would never  advice  to  perform these mods  without  really  knowing  what you're  doing.

Edited by sigsauerfan

On 4/11/2017 at 11:21 PM, Dr Mitch said:

The solution is going with a 3.5lbs Ghost connector, using the factory striker spring, and then using any type of primer.  Case closed.

Dr.Mitch - Which Ghost connector? I think there are 5 or 6 of the "-" connectors. 

22 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I like the Ghost rocket, with the overtravel stop you trim down to fit your gun.

But honestly? Pick a "-" connector and install and enjoy.

Ditto.  I liked that Ghost setup a lot - short uptake, pretty crisp, and minimal overtravel - but wanted something closer to my carry Glocks and did not want a "gamer" connector in the carry guns.  I have settled on a Overwatch Precision flat trigger assembly with "-" connector.  Basically a polished flat trigger assembly with "-" connector.  Still a bit mushy but after all it is a Glock.  I don't swap springs or otherwise compromise reliability or safety because those things won't make me any better and I don't like things that stop working. 

Nice thing about the Glock setups is you can experiment with connectors and polishing without dipping into your 401K.